Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2004, 03:27 PM   #1

Unhappy

wiring a light

I am wiring a light in my basement, and I need some help. I have a black(hot) coming into my switch and I have a two wire going into my light. I would also like a plug below my light switch. How can I obtain this?

Old 01-26-2004, 12:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

wiring a light

On the line side of the switch splice another 14gauge or 12gauge wire from there to the outlet. At the switch you will connect the white with the other whites already there - same with the ground.
Your switch will only have a black in and a black out to the light.. all neutral (white) will be wire nutted together including the outlet neutral. The hot for the outlet will need to be on the line side or before the switch's incoming power.
Make sure that there are not too many outlets or lights on one circuit. I'm not sure what the max outlets and lights are for a single circuit - someone else will have to answer that. Also - by wire I mean 3 wire romex - black neutral and ground.

hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #3

wiring a light

I believe the max on a single circuit is eleven.

Thats in any combination of outlets and lights.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #4

wiring a light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I believe the max on a single circuit is eleven.

Thats in any combination of outlets and lights.

NO MAXIMUM IN A RESIDENCE.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

wiring a light

do the simple math: 180va (or 1.5 amps) per general use receptacle gives a limit of 10 receptacles per 15 amp circuit or 13 receptacles per 20 amp circuit. My question is, “Does the 80 % limit come into play?” In other words, must I take 80 % of a 20 amp circuit (i.e., 16 amps), divide that by 1.5 amps per receptacle, and conclude that I can install no more than 10 receptacles on a 20 amp branch circuit? per the (nec code). About the lights iam not sure about....good luck

Last edited by tonyh; 12-31-2004 at 01:12 AM.
tonyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

wiring a light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet
Make sure that there are not too many outlets or lights on one circuit. I'm not sure what the max outlets and lights are for a single circuit - someone else will have to answer that.

In general most circuits have between 10-12 outlets in it. You can basically figure out what you will need plus a few extra in a circuit. Figure out what you might or may need to have plugged in running at one time. By figuring out the wattage per item and add it together you can take that and divide by the voltage used(usually 120v unless you're using specialtly deviceswhich would be 220v-240v)and that will give you the amps running on that circuit which will be needed. Whether it will be 15 or 20 amps. If you're running close to the 15 amp mark then i would just bump it up to 20 and if you're running close to the 20 amp mark I might just break it down to two different circuits instead of running larger wire. Which ever is easier.

Just make sure you're using the right sized wire for the circuit
(15 amp -14 guage;20 amp 12-guage)

For lights just figure out how many lights you plan on needing and what wattage bulbs you will be needing as well. Divide the total by the wattage and that will give you amps. Just I don't usually put more then 8 lights depending on the wattages of the bulbs anticipated for further use. That's if the lights are on their own circuit.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #7
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

wiring a light

The new 2005 NEC is out and I was reading it while down with the flu. There have been some changes for receptacles. Look here http://www.ecmweb.com/

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote