Wiring A Leviton 7299 GFCI Combo Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring a Leviton 7299 GFCI combo switch

I am attempting to replace an old recepitcal/light switch in the bath (recpt would power only when the light switch was on) I want to replace it with a GFCI. Leviton 7299 switch for the light and outlet recpt. Upon removing the old switch I noticed that there are 5 wires. 2 white, 1 red and 1 blk light leg and 1 bk is the hot. The GFCI has 2 bk switch wires. Tested the connections and found that the red wire and the 2 white nuetrals power only the master bdrm lights and 1 blk light leg powers the light (even with the 2 neutrals disconnected). and the hot leg remains powered even without the 2 neutrals connected. I am trying to wire this GFCI by using the wiring instructions that came with the GFCI but it is not working the way it should be....bathroom light is on but is not controlled by the switch, the little green led light on the GFCI is not on and no power to the bedroom lights.......can anyone help? thanks in advance.

Advertisement

threequez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

How large is the box that the old outlet or switch was in? Can you post a picture? As for the bedroom lights, wire nut the Red with the black coming in, but also attach a six inch length of wire, so that you can power the outlet. White for the bedroom also gets wire nutted with the white neutral incoming, and a white pigtail would go from that wire nut to the white side of the gfci. There was a post a day ago on wiring a combo switch/outlet. Switch / outlet combo - outlet always on

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #3

thank you so much for answering my post....yeah I can get as far as the bdrm power where im getting confused is the actual GFCI and the wiring for the bathroom light using pigtails from bk and white and connecting them to the LINE side of the GFCI then connecting the switch leads (the bk leads from the GFCI) one to the hot wire (the one I have the Bedrm line connected to) and one to the neutral wires? Another problem I may or may not have is, there is no ground wire in this box.....is that ground important to us the GFCI?

thanks
jt
Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Yes, the ground is important if needing a grounded outlet. Otherwise, you need to mark the gfci with the sticker that states "Ungrounded outlet". If you are able to pull new 12/2 for just the outlet, that would be better. The NEC now states that only lighting in the bath can connect to other lighting, and that outlets need to be wired with #12 wiring.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #5

Good advice.....I thought about just running a separate line to the bathroom (just for the bathroom) installing a GFCI in the bathroom with the existing wiring setup wouldn't be much good....thanks again for all of your help...have a great day.

jt