Wiring Jenn Air C202 - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
AJS

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring Jenn Air C202

Does anyone know how to wire a Jenn Air C202 cooktop? Annotated photos attached.

Had some new countertops installed, however, the installers disconnected the stove, but did not mark the wires. Previously, I had marked the black power wires with tape. However, only one shows markings as "red". Assuming the other is "black", I don't know what to hook the ground wire to, or the other white and green wires (for fan, I believe).

I attached photos of the setup and of the wiring diagram. Any help would be appreciated!

[IMG]file:///E:/DCIM/101K4530/101_5059.JPG[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring Jenn Air C202-101_5061.jpg   Wiring Jenn Air C202-101_5062.jpg  

Advertisement

AJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Wiring Jenn Air C202

Green is Ground, and White goes to White. Can not really tell from the Rats nest how the wires are connected for the Black & Red. If you are unsure, this is where the $60-80 in your wallet comes in handy to call an Electrician.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 150

Wiring Jenn Air C202

From the cable you have in the pic it looks like you have a 3 wire cable, Hot, hot, and ground. You will need a cable, sized correctly for the load and for the breakers, that has 4 wires in it. Usually black, red, white and bare ground.Black and red are hot, white is neutral, just like the cook top.
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 150

Wiring Jenn Air C202

It uses the neutral for the control display, also the fan as you said.
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Wiring Jenn Air C202

That is SEU cable. That bare braided conductor is actually a neutral, not a ground. This cable was legal to use for 120/240v "3-wire" circuits for many years.

The best thing would be to replace it with a new "4-wire" circuit, but you can still use whats there since it is existing.

Just connect both the white and green to that bare from the feed cable.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
AJS

Wiring Jenn Air C202

Speedy Petey - would you mind detailing why both the green and white are connected to the bare wire? I don't understand how this completes a circuit.

Thanks all for the help.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #7

Wiring Jenn Air C202

In older residential range and dryer circuits we were allowed to run a 3-wire circuit with no ground. Some say this originated around WWII due to the shortage of raw materials.

The cable you have there is smaller service entrance cable. That is the ONLY cable where the neutral was allowed to be bare. This cable was allowed to be used for the purposes of wiring ranges and dryers, with the bare NEUTRAL as a current carrying conductor.

Here is the 2008 NEC code reference. See the exception.
Be aware that the neutral is correctly called the "grounded circuit conductor". This is NOT the same thing as an "equipment grounding conductor".

250.140 Frames of Ranges and Clothes Dryers.
Frames of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units, clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes that are part of the circuit for these appliances shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor in the manner specified by 250.134 or 250.138.

Exception: For existing branch-circuit installations only where an equipment grounding conductor is not present in the outlet or junction box, the frames of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units, clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes that are part of the circuit for these appliances shall be permitted to be connected to the grounded circuit conductor if all the following conditions are met.

(1) The supply circuit is 120/240-volt, single-phase, 3-wire; or 208Y/120-volt derived from a 3-phase, 4-wire, wye-connected system.

(2) The grounded conductor is not smaller than 10 AWG copper or 8 AWG aluminum.

(3) The grounded conductor is insulated, or the grounded conductor is uninsulated and part of a Type SE service-entrance cable and the branch circuit originates at the service equipment.

(4) Grounding contacts of receptacles furnished as part of the equipment are bonded to the equipment.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
AJS

Wiring Jenn Air C202

So, besides upgrading to a 4 wire, the next best option would be to connect the white wire to the bare neutral, and the green to ground. However, since the only ground would be to the electrical box that the bare neutral wire would be touching anyway, attaching the green and white will do.

Correct?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #9

Wiring Jenn Air C202

Yes. The circuit neutral in this case is allowed to serve as both the neutral and ground.

Advertisement