Wiring A Jen-air Cooktop - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring a Jen-air cooktop

I purchased a JenAir ceramic cooktop with downdraft model# JED8430BDB to replace an old Frididare cooktop with coil burners. The old one was wired black to black, red to white and green to ground. The new one has 4 wires - black, white, red and green. I called JenAir directly but the guy wouldn't answer my question. He just said "you need to contact a qualified electrician". I'm certain I'm not the only person trying to save a buck by doing this myself. I also had a question about rotating the downdraft and he wouldn't answer that either. I'm not happy with my 1st and possibly last experience with JenAir. Can anyone help?

Advertisement

gunnydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wiring a Jen-air cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnydon View Post
I purchased a JenAir ceramic cooktop with downdraft model# JED8430BDB to replace an old Frididare cooktop with coil burners. The old one was wired black to black, red to white and green to ground. The new one has 4 wires - black, white, red and green. I called JenAir directly but the guy wouldn't answer my question. He just said "you need to contact a qualified electrician". I'm certain I'm not the only person trying to save a buck by doing this myself. I also had a question about rotating the downdraft and he wouldn't answer that either. I'm not happy with my 1st and possibly last experience with JenAir. Can anyone help?
Do you only have 3 wires from the wall? You need 4 wires for the new stove. You will have to remove the old stove wire if it only has 3 and replace it with one that has 3 wires plus ground.

Jamie

Advertisement

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wiring a Jen-air cooktop

Quote:
WHY? The guy is only protecting his ass... Its not JenAir's job to tell every Tom, Dick, And HArry how to wire something. I've never had any problems reading the instuction manual and installing a product a customer bought.

Last edited by chris75; 12-18-2008 at 11:19 PM.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Wiring a Jen-air cooktop

Quote:
First it is a liability issue if the tell you how to do it over the phone and do it wrong, and hurt or kill yourself, or burn your house down they don't want to have liability, that's why all over the instruction it will say something to the effect of "TO BE INSTALLED BY QUALIFIED PERSONS ONLY."

Anyway you'll have to have a new 3-wire (+ground) run to your stove, your old stove ran only on 240v your new one needs both 240v and 120v to operate.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring a Jen-air cooktop

Thanks folks!!! I got the messages loud and clear - I'll call an electrician first thing tomorrow.
gunnydon is offline   Reply With Quote