Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring issues with switch controlling outlet and ceiling fan

Just bought a house and my brother was changing the outlets and lost track of which wire was which. At the outlet box I know which 2 wires are coming from main power (no bare copper ground wire) but there are two other sets of black and white wires which I assume one comes from ceiling fan and the other comes from the switch.
I am confused bc the switch box has 3 wires in it...a black white and red. Why isn't there a red in the outlet box?
Can someone give me an idea how the wires should be hooked up at the electrical box?
mnsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

I'm curious why you think the fan switch leg goes thru the outlet? At first glance, I would think the whites get pigtailed to the outlet and the blacks get pigtailed to the outlet.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #3

My brother in law said there were three wires to each side of the outlet. None of them were pigtailed together. Originally the light switch turned the fan/ light assembly on. I assumed that since there was an extra set of b/white wires at the outlet box that it came from the switch to control the outlet.
mnsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #4

What you have is power coming into the box and power going out of the box to two different locations. You will most likely find the red wire in the switch box.