Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring for a Hot Tub

So my wife and I just closed on a home, and with it comes a hot tub that has laid dormant for 2 years because the home wasn't wired for a hot tub, especially in the area it currently lays.

The house is 4 years old, and as you can see from the pictures, the Hot tub I believe requires a 220 box or whatever the terminology is.

I have some DIY'ers in the family that can assist with this versus paying someone $850, but is drilling through the side of the home to hook up the proper connections what will happen, or do you have to dig underground? I am ignorant and I am not asking on behalf of anyone but myself...but I thought I saw another hot tub thread discussing underground digging.

Sorry if I am vague or not providing enough details.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring for a Hot Tub-ht01.jpg   Wiring for a Hot Tub-ht02.jpg   Wiring for a Hot Tub-ht03.jpg  

majorchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #2

Wiring for a Hot Tub

You do not necessarily need to dig a trench. What you need to understand is this is not an easy project for a person not familiar with the National Electric Code.

Please Google " Mike Holt + Article 680. There, look for the illustrated code requirements for pools and tubs. This is a serious issue if not installed correctly. It can cause serious injury or death if you find yourself with a faulty installation.
Someone here may have the direct link.
Do not do anything until you have received all information and please let us know your intentions BEFORE you do any electrical work on this hot tub.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Cow

Wiring for a Hot Tub

I completely agree with J.V. Hooking up a hot tub is serious business with potentially very serious consequences if not done properly.

$850, it may seem steep but you'll know it'll be done right and be done safe. Is it worth the risk?
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Wiring for a Hot Tub

$4850 is a bargain in a neighborhood like yours. My spa jobs are typically in the $1000-$1200 range.

DO NOT attempt this yourself, even with the help of your family DIYers. It's NOT worth it!!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
liscenced electrician

Wiring for a Hot Tub

i don't see the big deal. Maybe i think its easy because its what i do, but just make sure everything is in conduit and is up to code. You need a disconnect visible from the hot tub and at least 5 feet from the water.
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Wiring for a Hot Tub

Jimmy, did you actually read the original post?
You are not doing this job, they are.

Tags
hot tub, spa, wiring