Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring hot tub

I just installed a 10 year old SunDance hot tub on concrete patio. Installed disconnect with #6-2 w/ground according to manual. Home Depot said I could use #8-2 w/ground to hookup from disconnect to hot tub. I ran wire in liquid-tite conduit and filled up tub and got shocked when running. To small wire? Or something else?

goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Wiring hot tub

Something else.

A hot tub is not a good place to start for someone that does not know anything about electrical work. PLEASE hire an electrician to make this right.

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (10-24-2011), gregzoll (10-24-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Wiring hot tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by goss View Post
I just installed a 10 year old SunDance hot tub on concrete patio. Installed disconnect with #6-2 w/ground according to manual. Home Depot said I could use #8-2 w/ground to hookup from disconnect to hot tub. I ran wire in liquid-tite conduit and filled up tub and got shocked when running. To small wire? Or something else?
Jesus, man. Something else. I'm all in favor of people DIYing whenever possible, but you need to turn off the circuit breaker and call a licensed electrician. This is bad, and you can't solve it safely.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (10-24-2011), gregzoll (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Wiring hot tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by goss View Post
What does the manual for the hot tub state? The idiots at Home Depot could not find their butt from their foot, no matter how hard they tried. Never listen to them.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Wiring hot tub

Something else and you may allready created few major code volations so the best answer is get the electrician to assit you on this one.

This is more than just a basic stuff on hot tub there is a bit of rules we have to follow.

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Wiring hot tub

At a minimum you have the wrong cable feeding the tub.