Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #1

Share |

Wiring home theater for optimum sound

I've read advice about similar set-ups but I'm not sure I've got mine right. I have a LED HDTV, PS3, Denon receiver with HDMI pass-thru and Motorola DVR cable box. I'd like to run cable and PS3 into my receiver (both hdmi) and run my HDMI out from receiver to TV. My understanding is that will provide the best quality sound for both blue ray and cable. Is that correct? Would there be any advantage or necessity to run any direct HDMI's to my TV? Would there be any advantage to running my cable co-axle coming into my house into the receiver instead of the cable box?

jayfye86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #2

Running the cable TV coaxial cable into the receiver without your cable box may or may not work.
0. It will definitely not work if you have to use an adapter with an RCA plug on the end to connect to the receiver.
1. It might not work at all.
2. It might let you see only the unscrambled channels.
3. It might let you see only the stations on cable channels 2-13 (these channel numbers are generally not the same as those in the station logos).
4. It might work nicely.
Depends on the features of your receiver.

I think HDMI sound (same HDMI cable as for the video) is just as good as optical sound (a separate cable). But not all DVD players output HDMI sound and not all receivers will pick the sound out of the HDMI video pass through. The red and white jacks limit you to front left and front right sound channels; the optical and HDMI sound give all sound channels.

By running HDMI to the receiver and not directly to the TV you avoid the need to pick up both the receiver and TV remote controls to select your source (DVD vs. game vs. cable). But you still have to pick up the cable box remote to change channels.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-19-2011 at 06:52 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I also have a mid-level Denon home theater receiver with HDMI pass-thru.

All my components go into the receiver via HDMI, with one HDMI to the TV. It works awesome and cleaned up a mountain of cables from my previous setup.

I also got the Denon iPhone/Pod dock. Very nice feature.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote