Wiring Help Please - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Wiring help please

I am a bit confused about how to wire multiple areas of the room. I have recessed lights three locations, main room on a 3 way switches. The outlet in the closet is for a cable box. How do I put it all together? The toilet area also has a fan on a separate switch (not on the diagram)

Advertisement

BimmerRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,464

Wiring help please

Are you going to tap into existing circuits or are you running new branch circuits from the panel for these lights?

Advertisement

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #3

Wiring help please

Existing dedicated 15A circuit. I have other 20A circuits for GFCI, floor heat, etc.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wiring help please

In the bottom middle I'd cut out the long run of wire going up on the left side (of hallway ?)
Instead run a short peice of wire to the lamp on the right
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Wiring help please

15 amp circuit can supply 1800 watts so keep that in mind but I don't see a problem.

I would use a 3-way dimmer set up for the 6 lights over the main room.
Separate switch or dimmer for the hall lights.

Door switch for the closet

Simple single pole for the bathroom

Run power to a 2 gang switch box where you first come into the room. That switch box will have the 3 way dimmer and switch for the hall lights. Out of that switch box run a 14/2 to the closet switchbox then 14/2 from closet switch to closet lights. Also 14/2 from 2 gang box to bathroom switch box and from bathroom switchbox a 14/2 to the bath lights. Finally 14/3 from 2 gang box to a typical 3 way switch located where you want it. From that switchbox 14/2 to the 6 lights over the main room.

You could also not dimm anything.. your choice. I wouldn't put all the hall lights and main room lights on one switch.

You could also dimm alternate lights in a string of lights and just switch the others.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring help please-main-room.jpg  

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-23-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #6

Wiring help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
15 amp circuit can supply 1800 watts so keep that in mind but I don't see a problem.

I would use a 3-way dimmer set up for the 6 lights over the main room.
Separate switch or dimmer for the hall lights.

Door switch for the closet

Simple single pole for the bathroom

Run power to a 2 gang switch box where you first come into the room. That switch box will have the 3 way dimmer and switch for the hall lights. Out of that switch box run a 14/2 to the closet switchbox then 14/2 from closet switch to closet lights. Also 14/2 from 2 gang box to bathroom switch box and from bathroom switchbox a 14/2 to the bath lights. Finally 14/3 from 2 gang box to a typical 3 way switch located where you want it. From that switchbox 14/2 to the 6 lights over the main room.

You could also not dimm anything.. your choice. I wouldn't put all the hall lights and main room lights on one switch.

You could also dimm alternate lights in a string of lights and just switch the others.

Stubbie, thanks.

We are ok on circuit load, the fixtures are rated 50w max, so 16x50 = 800 plus fan rated ~25W.

Good idea on the dimmer, but I think both wife and I are against separate switches for hallway and main bath area, we think it will create too much of an annoyance rather than convenience.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #7

Wiring help please

Actually, can I use a dimmer if I have both low and line voltage fixtures on the same run?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Wiring help please

Yes you can but the line voltage ones should be incandescents and the low voltage ones halogen (i think) but it needs to be the correct combination dimmer for the low voltage lights . I'd look at the lutron dimmer site they make this type of dimmer.

I'm sorry I didn't realize the entire room was a bath.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-23-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Wiring help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Yes you can but the line voltage ones should be incandescents and the low voltage ones halogen (i think) but it needs to be the correct combination dimmer for the low voltage lights . I'd look at the lutron dimmer site they make this type of dimmer.

I'm sorry I didn't realize the entire room was a bath.
Also, we ought to remember that no dimming of CFLs and ceiling fans. (Unless special dimmers. Otherwise we create a potential fire hazard! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #10

Wiring help please

Done with this part. Now I need to figure out outlets and GFCI branches

Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Wiring help please

Brimmer Racer (Post # 10) I noticed on the picture that the power to the switch does not come from the bottom up. As a general rule (not really a rule but a wiring method). I wire up the receptacles on a particular circuit (whether "daisy chain" or pigtailed) in sequence and then up to the switch and the lights in the room. Even when There are many lights, as you seem to have and a separate circuit is called for, I still hit the switch first and then on to the lights. This has many advantages. It avoids clutter in the junction boxes and is less complicated if you want to install a dimmer or a timer on some of the lights! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #12

Wiring help please

Power does go to the switch and on to the lights. It is not routed from the bottom as you noted since there's no practical way to do that due to the room layout. The switch you see in this case is the second 3-way.

Advertisement