Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring a Heater

I'm installing a heater in my garage. I've run 6-2 with a 50 amp double pull breaker. Below are some images of the heating unit. I'm needing to know how to wire the heater. Thanks for the help. It's a Ouellet 10,000 Watt; Model# OASU10000T; BTU 34,120; 240 Volt.

jefstrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
liscenced electrician

Wiring a Heater

here ya go. L1 L2 and ground. It looks like its got a thermostat preinstalled, so you just need to provide power
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring a Heater-heater.jpg  
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Wiring a Heater

Jimmy got it. Just to clarify a bit more, connect the two hot wires from your new 50A circuit (black and red or black and white probably, depending on your wire) to the L1 and L2 terminals. Connect your ground wire to the lug with the green screw. That's it.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #4

Wiring a Heater

Great! Thanks so much for the quick reply!

The heater has a turning knob on the back of the heating unit. Is this just an On/Off and setting knob or is it also the thermostat? In the first picture this is in the very bottom right corner. I was wondering if I could install a programmable thermostat that I would mount on the wall in the garage. Is this possible? If so, how would I do this? Thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
liscenced electrician

Wiring a Heater

Looks like its a thermostat. You couldn't use a programmable thermostat because they aren't rated for that massive heater. You would need to wire the thermostat to a contractor and the heater to the contractor to make it work
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Wiring a Heater

There is already a contactor in the heater. It's the big thing towards the left. If you get a thermostat intended for use with line-voltage baseboard heaters and wire it to the coil of that contactor, it will control the heater.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #7

Wiring a Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
There is already a contactor in the heater. It's the big thing towards the left. If you get a thermostat intended for use with line-voltage baseboard heaters and wire it to the coil of that contactor, it will control the heater.
most line voltage thermostat needs a 500w load minimum so it wont work for contactor. (you can try it)
you need a 24vac thermostat (furnace type thermostat), a relay and a control transformer (240-24vac). Those are options when you order those type of heaters. option relay is shown on picture, is there others parts then those on picture?
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
I=E/R

Wiring a Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmusic View Post
most line voltage thermostat needs a 500w load minimum so it wont work for contactor. (you can try it)
Where did you come up with this?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #9

Wiring a Heater

it is what is marked on datasheet of most programmable line voltage thermostat
http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/...ing-manual.pdf
(minimum load of 2A)

he could uses an old mechanical thermostat which would work ok

Last edited by carmusic; 10-26-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
I=E/R

Wiring a Heater

I see...
The themostat is in series with the heater element and needs a certain amount of current to flow to operate. Notice that this type of thermostat does not have an OFF that interrupts both legs of the 240 volts.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #11

Wiring a Heater

Thanks for all the input. I called the manufacture just to ask if they had a thermostat built specifically for this unit. He said they did (which was a different response I received from the distributor). The manufactures are from Canada and they only have this product on the Canadian side of their website which may be why the distributor didn't see it... Anyways, the below link is the unit he said would work. It's powered by batteries but, he said all I have to do is pull the two terminals off the thermostat in the heating unit (bottom right side of the 1st picture) and run those lines in series through this programmable thermostat. That sounded really good, almost to good to be true so I wanted to post this to see what you all thought. Thanks again for the help!

http://www.ouellet.com/line-voltage-...ecs.aspx?i=182
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #12

Wiring a Heater

yes it shoud work with this one since it has relay output and runs off batteries
i see that it is very new model. that good since we wont have to add transformer to control contactors