Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #1

Share |

Wiring a Haldex pump and motor on a 2 post lift

I recently bought a 2 post lift. The motor has 4 yellow wires coming out of 2 different holes. There is also a push button on the box. I have looked everywhere on line and can not find any help to wire this up. I have a roll of 10/3 nomex. On the motor behind the electrical box there is 2 holes, each hole has 2 yellow wires coming out. It has a limit switch on top of the lift. I am asking for any help as to wiring this unit from the motor to the 220 supply in the box.

69malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Idiot Emeritus

Are the wires coming out of the motor numbered? Like T1,T4,T5,T8.

micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #3

Yes, the wires are T1 T4 T5 T8 ,,what does that mean
Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

T1 and T4 are the run winding, T5 and T8 are the start winding. Very common for single phase single voltage motors.

One leg of the incoming power goes to T1 &T5, the other leg goes to T4 & T8. This will usually result in CW rotation when looking at the back of the motor. Most hydraulic pumps will turn this way.

If it turns the wrong way, swap T5 and T8. It'll be one leg of incoming power to T1 & T8, and the other leg to T4 & T5.

You'll need some sort of switch to control it. Typically, this type of lift goes up when the motor is on, and often there's a hydraulic valve to lower it.

The pushbutton on the box will very likely work for this. If it has two terminals (or wires), simply tie one of them to one leg of the incoming power, the other to the two T leads that go to the motor. The other leg of the incoming power goes directly to the motor leads.

If you need more help, feel free to post again.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #5

Thanks alot, I wll try it tomorrow
Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Also when you hook up the car lift you will note you will have to hook up the limit switch as well typically one side of line supply useally do it. { unless you have contractor then it will wired in series with coil }

But pay attetion to the connection at the limit switch some will marked " NO "( normal open ) or " NC "(Normal close ) so wired up to the NC which it mean normal closed so when you lift the car up it will hit the limit switch and stop the pump motour.

To test it take a stick or broom and hit the limit switch bar it should stop running when you hit the bar.

Merci,
Marc
Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #7

So far so good on hooking the electrical to my lift, but at the power side, there is 4 wires coming in. Green is the ground, and there is white, black and red....Which 2 do I use
Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Idiot Emeritus

By power side, do you mean the cable that comes from the electrical panel? Or is it a cord, either with or without a plug on the end?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #9

Before I got the building, the electrician put a box on the ceiling for potential 220 use with the open wires. They have red caps on them. Like I posted earlier, the wires are red, white and black with a ground screwed to the block. I found out from the landlord that the power wires in question are on a 30 amp breaker. That is all I know.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
Idiot Emeritus

Very likely, black and red will have 240. White will be the neutral, which you don't need. Just black, red, and green for ground, and leave the red wirenut on the white wire.

Find the breaker and turn it off before you do anything with these wires. Also, verify that the wires are actually dead. Panels are mis-marked way too often.