Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Share |

wiring a groups of lights in a circuit

Basement finishing project here. Will have a dedicated 15AMP for a set of can lights: 4(home theatre section), 2 (middle/bar section), 5(play area section). How would I wire from panel if I wanted to control each section with a different light switch with the play area section controlled by a 2-way. Will I definitely need a 14-3 wire? I presently only have pre-wired only with 14-2 romex but I can still change things. Would appreciate very detailed answer please. That is, how do I connect the actual light switch itself in each section of lights. As you can see, I'm a newbie.

legende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

I'll assume you want to control each set of lights, not each light. If nothing is in place, it won't be that difficult. Can you create a drawing which shows what you want to do and where you want the switches?

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #3

See 2 videos for a start:

diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
I'll assume you want to control each set of lights, not each light. If nothing is in place, it won't be that difficult. Can you create a drawing which shows what you want to do and where you want the switches?

Yes, I want to control each set of lights separately for each "section". Here is a diagram - I may have leftover circuits from pre-existing lights but the ones in orange color are the ones I'm working on. As you can see, there's diagrams for receptacles as well. I hope my attachment is ok. Also, I think my question is also answered on Ending a Circuit?
Attached Thumbnails
wiring a groups of lights in a circuit-basement_for_diy_electrical_question.jpg  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #5

First of all...great drawing. A switch does a very simple thing....it interrupts the hot leg of a circuit. If you know where you want the switch all you have to do is wire it in to where the lighting circuit begins. And the 14-3 isn't a bad idea, since you have (according to the latest code) to have a neutral in the switch box.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

You show the bar area lights switched with the theater lights. My impressionwas you would have 3 switches, one for each area.

BTW, in the US there are single pole or 3 way switches, not 2 ways. A three way switch controls something from 2 locations.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound
First of all...great drawing. A switch does a very simple thing....it interrupts the hot leg of a circuit. If you know where you want the switch all you have to do is wire it in to where the lighting circuit begins. And the 14-3 isn't a bad idea, since you have (according to the latest code) to have a neutral in the switch box.
Wow the new code is gonna complicate things a little
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B. View Post
Wow the new code is gonna complicate things a little
It may cause people to change the way they run the circuit and will add some to the cost but I don't know if it is all that complicated. If the neutral is not needed it will be spliced or capped in the back of the box. Switch loops will now need xx-3 instead of xx-2 or you run the power to the switch first.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port

It may cause people to change the way they run the circuit and will add some to the cost but I don't know if it is all that complicated. If the neutral is not needed it will be spliced or capped in the back of the box. Switch loops will now need xx-3 instead of xx-2 or you run the power to the switch first.
Well yeah it's not gonna be complicated at all(another bad choice of words) but it will add to the cost. In commercial, we have to bring our feeds into the light, therefore we will need the three wire in order to make this work. This also changes article 200.7(c)(2)
Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

Why would you need to bring the power into the lights first? There is no code requirement for this.

To avoid hijacking the OPs thread a new topic should be started.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port
Why would you need to bring the power into the lights first? There is no code requirement for this.

To avoid hijacking the OPs thread a new topic should be started.
Ok I will start one
Old 09-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
Licensed electrician

Legende,

I still see the new orange lights all showing being together unless I am missing something. The easy way to provide power from the one switch to other switches is to pigtail the power in cable to the power out cable and then a cable carrying switch controlled power out to the lights. You could carry a xx-3 cable between points with a switched hot and a constant hot if oyu wanted to but it adds additional box fill and cost.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Legende,

I still see the new orange lights all showing being together unless I am missing something. The easy way to provide power from the one switch to other switches is to pigtail the power in cable to the power out cable and then a cable carrying switch controlled power out to the lights. You could carry a xx-3 cable between points with a switched hot and a constant hot if oyu wanted to but it adds additional box fill and cost.
Thanks everybody for your responses so far.

Jim, maybe my diagram, however fancy-looking it is, is incorrect. But, my intent is really to control each area separately. One switch for the 4 cans in HT area, another for the 2 cans in bar area , and another for the 4 cans in play area(but I do want a 2-way for this area - which I believe is not indicated in the diagram; it only shows a switch by the staircase, but I wanted to add another along the long wall area).

So, how do I do this again , exactly? Can I get by with just 14-2 romex? If you can diagram it, that would be great. thanks.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Legende,

Been reading other posts, so I guess your route is really the ideal/proper(code) way. The way I wired it so far is from panel to 1st light in home theatre and just went sequencially from there to the other 3 lights, to the switch. From this switch to the lights in bar area ; wired another for their switch and for the other light in the play area again sequentially on to the other lights and putting another feed for a switch for this set of lights(from 1st light). All this is 14-2 romex, except I wired a 14-3 from the switch of play area lights to another switch(for the 2 way). Yeah I didn't plan good enough and inspector actually passed this.

So, please let me know so I can redo this whole thing. I guess will have wasted some wire to fix it up but it's better to do it right. thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
" Euro " electrician

I don't know if you are aware that you will need seperated luminaire in the uility room and it have it own switch { not tied to the main lighting circuits }

Second thing I do not know if your state do required AFCI breakers which I belive most states are allready have that requirement for finished basements for unfinished basement it have to be GFCI recetpale or breaker { one of the two }

Third IIRC most place I know run the sump pump seperated circuit this will really save your rear end in case other issue do come up { this part you may check with your local codes related to this }

Fourth., If you going to use the dimmer{s} pay attetion to the wattage rating

BTW we electrician will sized the lighting circuits by max wattage on the luminaire so example., for recessed luminaire if they are rated for 90 watts then we go that figure even thru you may use the CFL bulb or lower wattage indecentsent bulbs

For three way switch setup I generally like have a power come in at the first switch box then go to next switch box then finally luminaire it will have netural ready in both box and not to worry about useing oddball NM cable { XX-4 or XX-2-2 }

For your theatre part you will need one seperated circuit just for the electronic stuff like enternatment centre { just watch this part the wattage will add up very fast if not pay attertion to them } That one reason why I always run this on seperated circuit so you will have plenty power there without not worry if someone run the vaccum cleaner and have the theatre part go out when you run it both on the same time.

Hope that clear up few more details on this one.

Merci,
Marc