Wiring A GFCI Outdoor Outlet From An Inside Outlet - Parallel Or Series? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring a GFCI Outdoor Outlet from an Inside Outlet - Parallel or Series?

I'm attempting to install an outdoor outlet from a pre-existing indoor outlet. I purchased a GFCI Outlet and replaced the indoor outlet with the outdoor. I would like to have both the outdoor and inside outlet installed. I can either wire them in series, or I can run them parallel. As it's currently installed, the test switches on the outdoor outlet will shutdown everything wired after the circuit which is a whole lot. I don't like the idea of someone being able to sever power to my indoor electronics simply by pressing a button on the outdoor outlet. If I wire the outdoor outlet in parallel, then any electrical disturbances that trip the outlet won't affect the rest of the circuit.

It all boils down to this...
Should I wire the outdoor outlet in parallel and connect the indoor outlet in series after?

Advertisement

Pacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Residential Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

I think you may be referring to line vs load.
Anything on the line side of the GFCI (power going in to the GFCI) will not be tripped by the GFCI.
Anything on the load side will turn off if the GFCI is tripped.

It is acceptable to make a pigtail and connect the things you don't want GFCI protected to the line side.

Be sure that said items are not in a garage, kitchen, bathroom, unfinished basement, or exterior receptacles.

Advertisement

rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
I don't like the idea of someone being able to sever power to my indoor electronics simply by pressing a button on the outdoor outlet............
Should I wire the outdoor outlet in parallel and connect the indoor outlet in series after?
Pacal, Welcome to the Forum

Series & parallel are not usually Used to describe GFCI circuits. In your case I would wire the outdoor GFCI off the line voltage. There is no advantage in having one GFCI feeding a second GFCI. I don't know of any case in residential circuits where this would be wired in.

There are very common instances where a device like a hairdryer has a built in GFCI and is plugged into a bathroom GFCI Receptacle. Common for that application but there is no advantage to have one GFCI receptacle feed another GFCI receptacle.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #4

I have a question about wiring GFI receptacles in a garage. I want to put one 20 Amp GFI coming off the breaker box, from there I want to use non GFI 20Amp receptacles by "chain" or "parallel" wiring to have multiple receptacles. I want ALL receptacles to be GFI protected. My question is how do I accomplish this? From the 1st GFI receptacle (coming in from panel box, power) the wires go to "Line", Black-copper, White-silver screw. My question is from there do I wire from the "Load" out to a regular 20Amp receptacle or pig tail out from the "Line" to the regular receptacle?

If any one has a diagram that would be great

Thanks

Jerry
jerrysatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 528

from panel to line side of GFI. then other regular type receptacles are all connected in parallel to the load side. keep in mind that a GFI can only protect up to 4 other receptacles.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...t-253046/view/
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,048

Don't forget that the neutral on the load side of the GFCI serves all loads and only loads served by the hot wire on the load side of that GFCI.

That is, the neutral from the panel and connected to the line side of the GFCI is not tied to the load side neutral and not used for other (downstream) receptacles etc. also protected by the GFCI.

When installing the outdoor outlet it's your choice whether to have the GFCI unit control (protect) some or all of the indoor receptacles as well. It is also your choice whether to put the GFCI unit inside so it can protect some inside receptacles without the danger of some passer-by pushing the test button on you.

Another advantage of putting the GFCI unit inside, you can use it as a shutoff switch so neighbors cannot plug into the outdoor receptacle and "steal electricity".

Disadvantage, if you are working outdoors and trip the GFCI, then you have to run inside to reset it.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-23-2009 at 10:53 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
from panel to line side of GFI. then other regular type receptacles are all connected in parallel to the load side. keep in mind that a GFI can only protect up to 4 other receptacles.
There is no such restriction on the number of receptacles on the load side of a GFCI.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
There is no such restriction on the number of receptacles on the load side of a GFCI.

One thing HouseHelper is correct useally there is no limit on receptales on load side of GFCI in the states however in Canada I know there are some limit it depending on either 15 or 20 amp circuits.

In France on load side of RCD { simauir to GFCI } we useally don't have limit on it.

The key issue is distance that is only quirk otherwise they just work just fine in standard non RCD/GFCI format.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Tool Geek

If used to get installation advice on installing a GFCI then searching the WEB can be an iffy proposition . The pic is an example of such advice off the web, with my comment.

The illustration is misleading for three main reasons:

Has "built-in circuit breaker
The circuit breaker reference is misleading because the GFCI can only detect an imbalance of current not the magnitude of the current. For example a if a 15 AMP GFCI is accidentally connected to a 20 Amp circuit (code violation) that GFCI can deliver 20 Amps all day without tripping the GFCI as long as there is no current imbalance > 5mA.

Designed for use around wet Areas
Sure a common application is around wet areas but that was not the design purpose. GFCI receptacles are designed to protect people.

Wire connection to GFCI
On current GFCI receptacles, you don’t twist the conductors around the side screws

Attached Thumbnails
Wiring a GFCI Outdoor Outlet from an Inside Outlet - Parallel or Series?-gfci-install.jpg  

Last edited by PaliBob; 10-24-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #11
Tool Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysatu View Post
If any one has a diagram that would be great

See if this helps:

Attached Thumbnails
Wiring a GFCI Outdoor Outlet from an Inside Outlet - Parallel or Series?-gfci-wiring.jpg  
Old 10-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #12

Thanks All,

Very helpful info. Now I understand better. Visuals make reading easier!!!!. The comments also explained what I was unsure about.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
The others answered your question and did comment on this, but I'll add my 2 cents.

ALL line voltage 120/240v AC wiring in a home is parallel. The terms series and parallel do not ever need to be considered.

What might seem like series wiring, due to the physical way it is wired, electrically is still parallel.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #14

I also forgot to ask about what is meant by "shared neutral wire" and "separate neutral wires?" I am in NY does anyone the code here for this use in a garage? And could someone send image of the wiring of it....

Thanks again
Old 10-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysatu View Post
I also forgot to ask about what is meant by "shared neutral wire" and "separate neutral wires?" I am in NY does anyone the code here for this use in a garage? And could someone send image of the wiring of it....

Thanks again

The term of " Shared netural conductor " that term is common found with Multiwire Branch Circuit aka MWBC.

There are some Specical designed GFCI to work with MWBC but the cost can get ya and yes there is two pole GFCI breaker on market to for this useage typically found in MWBC or in pool / spa useage { this is very strict so there is alot to cover } but to run GFCI receptale from MWBC this can get tricky if not addressed correct.

I know stubbie have few good drawing but I try to attach it but seems not work for me so PaliBob can you do it for me ? Merci.

For NY code I am not sure if they are any local requirement so I will let Speedy Pete answer that one if he know any local requirement but I really doubt it.

Merci. Marc

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote