DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Wiring Generator Inlet (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wiring-generator-inlet-167638/)

LVDIY 12-28-2012 05:29 PM

Wiring Generator Inlet
 
I am about to start making a permanent hookup for a portable generator. The plan is to install a manual transfer switch and to put a remote inlet on the wall of my attached garage.

So for the wiring, my plan is to run 10-3 romex from the panel, across the basement and go through the rim joist and into the garage. From there I was thinking of running conduit straight up the wall and into a surface mounted 30 amp inlet box. The walls in the garage are dry wall.

My questions are these:

1. Is it OK to run romex in conduit like this?

2. Would it be better to just fish the wire behind the drywall and come out straight into the back of the inlet box?

3. How high off the floor should the inlet box be, and are there any other requirements for placement?

4. Anything else I should think of?

Thanks!

jbfan 12-28-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LVDIY (Post 1081461)
I am about to start making a permanent hookup for a portable generator. The plan is to install a manual transfer switch and to put a remote inlet on the wall of my attached garage.

So for the wiring, my plan is to run 10-3 romex from the panel, across the basement and go through the rim joist and into the garage. From there I was thinking of running conduit straight up the wall and into a surface mounted 30 amp inlet box. The walls in the garage are dry wall.

My questions are these:

1. Is it OK to run romex in conduit like this?

Yes, as long as you do not go outside, then it has to be uf cable

2. Would it be better to just fish the wire behind the drywall and come out straight into the back of the inlet box?

Can you get it behind the drywall without cutting holes?

3. How high off the floor should the inlet box be, and are there any other requirements for placement?

None!

4. Anything else I should think of?

Thanks!

Answers in blue.

LVDIY 12-28-2012 06:22 PM

Thanks jbfan!

I can probably fish the wire behind the drywall if i fool around with it a little. But if I can place this anywhere on the wall, then I guess I could just place the box right over the hole where I'm coming through from the basement, eliminating the need for conduit or wire fishing.

One more thing, I just realized I have a garden hose spigot next to where I'm planning on coming through the wall, are there any distance from a water source requirement for an inlet like this?

jbfan 12-28-2012 07:21 PM

I just wouldn't put it underneath.

LVDIY 12-28-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1081516)
I just wouldn't put it underneath.

I'll try to avoid that :whistling2:

Thanks for your help!

brric 12-28-2012 08:54 PM

Please don't run that generator inside the garage.:no:

LVDIY 12-28-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brric (Post 1081580)
Please don't run that generator inside the garage.:no:

Don't worry, I'm only putting the inlet in the garage :wink:

LVDIY 12-28-2012 11:46 PM

so I'm thinking I'll probably run conduit from where the wire comes through the drywall and about 2ft up the wall and into the surface mounted box.

How do I transition from where the wire comes through the drywall to the conduit? Can I just get a 90 degree elbow and stick one end into the hole in the drywall and connect the other end to the conduit running up to the box?

Agent0070 10-19-2013 09:05 AM

I am looking to do the exact same setup. My basement panel is right next to and below my attached garage. Having the inlet on the garage wall right above would protect it from weather and I could just run the generator cord under the door outside to the generator in my driveway. It seems like the easiest install. My question is the 10-3 wire would be exposed for 2-3 feet running up the garage wall from where it come out from the basement up to the inlet box. I have read that you can't put nmb inside a conduit, though. I believe the wire needs to be protected I'd it is exposed on the outside of the drywall though. It is acceptable to just have that small 2-3 foot section in conduit for protection?

Also, I have 25' of 10awg SOOW 4 wire. Can this be used instead of buying 10-3 Romex? Link below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003FO...f=ya_aw_oh_pit

raylo32 10-19-2013 10:05 AM

I did similar... I installed my inlet box on an exterior siding wall directly behind where I installed the transfer switch. Used romex inside corrugated conduit to connect the 2. When you are done put a bead of clear silicone or caulk around your inlet box.

Philly Master 10-19-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LVDIY (Post 1081593)
Don't worry, I'm only putting the inlet in the garage :wink:


putting the outlet in the garage is not a good idea .....there are requirements of how far the running gen is from a door or window ....

Put the outlet OUTSIDE ..!!!

most GENERATOR outlets are made to be put outside they are weatherproof ...

circuitman 10-19-2013 10:53 AM

NO, soow wire can not be used for permanent wiring only romex!:thumbsup:

Philly Master 10-19-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent0070 (Post 1255342)
I am looking to do the exact same setup. My basement panel is right next to and below my attached garage. Having the inlet on the garage wall right above would protect it from weather and I could just run the generator cord under the door outside to the generator in my driveway. It seems like the easiest install. My question is the 10-3 wire would be exposed for 2-3 feet running up the garage wall from where it come out from the basement up to the inlet box. I have read that you can't put nmb inside a conduit, though. I believe the wire needs to be protected I'd it is exposed on the outside of the drywall though. It is acceptable to just have that small 2-3 foot section in conduit for protection?

Also, I have 25' of 10awg SOOW 4 wire. Can this be used instead of buying 10-3 Romex? Link below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003FO...f=ya_aw_oh_pit



yes u can put NM wire in conduit ... just not in WET locations ..



400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:

(1) http://code.necplus.org/images/spacer.gifAs a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

(2) http://code.necplus.org/images/spacer.gifWhere run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors

(3) http://code.necplus.org/images/spacer.gifWhere run through doorways, windows, or similar openings

(4) http://code.necplus.org/images/spacer.gifWhere attached to building surfaces

Agent0070 10-23-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly Master
putting the outlet in the garage is not a good idea .....there are requirements of how far the running gen is from a door or window .... Put the outlet OUTSIDE ..!!! most GENERATOR outlets are made to be put outside they are weatherproof ...

In my case the inlet would be just inside the garage door. The generator had a 30 feet cord so it can be located about 27 feet away from the house if needed. Do I think distance to a door or window will not be an issue. It is just easier to wire and mount the inlet this way and provides easy access . The Reliant inlet I have is waterproof when not in use, but not when in use.

Philly Master 10-23-2013 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent0070 (Post 1257151)
In my case the inlet would be just inside the garage door. The generator had a 30 feet cord so it can be located about 27 feet away from the house if needed. Do I think distance to a door or window will not be an issue. It is just easier to wire and mount the inlet this way and provides easy access . The Reliant inlet I have is waterproof when not in use, but not when in use.



LOL first problem ......Reliant


try this ... outlet is on the BOTTOM and panel is completely customizable to each persons needs .....

this is a kit >> cord, panel, and outlet ..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved