Wiring Generator To Hunting Cabin - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring generator to hunting cabin

Hello, we have a hunting cabin (actually a metal building we recently finished out) that is in a remote area and are required to use a generator for electricity. I see most of the requirement for providing electricity to a breaker panel require the use of a transfer switch. I don't feel this would be applicable to us since we have no other source of power from a utility. So that said, I am in need of some help with hooking the generator up to a more "permanent" set up instead of multiple extension cords. I plan to hang a small breaker panel and wire less than 10 outlets and less than 5 light fixtures. We have two small propane heaters that have electric blowers that will be plugged in as well. First, I purchased a small 100 amp Homeline panel with 4 circuits, is that overkill? Next, my plan is to run a 14 guage wire plugged in to the generator through a weatherproof junction box on the exterior of the cabin and into the panel to supply power. Is that a reasonable method of running power from the generator? We don't need anything fancy and are simply trying to install something more permanent on the inside of the cabin so that we can easily start the generator, plug in the cord, and be on our way. Thank you all in advance for your help and suggestions.

Advertisement

Skers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

You should install a typical Inlet on the outside of the building, this will allow you to connect the generator with a typical generator cord. I would install a 30A inlet and #10 wire. Run it to your panel and feed your panel directly. You do not need any type of interlock or transfer switch.

Advertisement

Gensetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #3

Thank you for your response Gensetter. The only thing that directed me in a different direction than your suggestion is that our generator does not have the larger generator plug. It only has a standard 3 prong plug. My thought was to just use a heavier guage cord with bare ends, install a standard plug for the generator end, and simply connect the other end to the panel. Will this work the same?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #4

Are you sure that you are going to keep that generator forever? Is there any chance you may upgrade?

I would wire the building up the way that I said above, and then make a cord to adapt to your current generator. This way when you upgrade generators down the line, you just have to cut off the plug and put a new one on.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 738

That's got to be one small generator if it only has 110 volt outlets.
What to you think this is going to be running?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

It is only a 2,000 watt generator. We only have the two small heater blowers and two light fixtures. Keep in mind this is only a cabin used for shelter during the hunting season. We have built in a kitchen and will eventually have all bathroom and kitchen fixtures. When we get to that point, we will have power ran to the property and the generator set up will no longer be used. The small generator has powered everything we have needed so far.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #7

Honestly, if it's just a temporary thing then I would just use extension cords until you are ready to do the final wiring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gensetter For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gensetter View Post
Honestly, if it's just a temporary thing then I would just use extension cords until you are ready to do the final wiring.
Or, wire it like you'll want it when you get POCO power, with a panel with a main breaker, maybe 10 circuits. Use a cord to your generator from the top of the panel, where the eventual service feed will come in.
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave632 View Post
Or, wire it like you'll want it when you get POCO power, with a panel with a main breaker, maybe 10 circuits. Use a cord to your generator from the top of the panel, where the eventual service feed will come in.
I am willing to bet you $100 that they will change their mind in multiple ways when they have more time to think about thinks and switch it from a temp hangout to a full time home. That's why I say not to do anything permanent just yet.

Advertisement

Tags
breaker panel , electric circuit , generator , wiring