Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring GE SunSmart Digital Timer to a 3 way switch

I am trying to connect the Digital Timer switch to a 3 way switch. My issue is that the existing switch has 4 wires, Red, Black, White and Ground.

The Digital Timer has 5 wires, Red, Black, White, Blue and Ground (green). I can't understand how to connect it. Any help is appreciated.

Drummer609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #2

Make and model of the timer would go a long way to getting some help. A link to the timer manual would be even better. The timer must be rated for use as a three switch.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer609 View Post
the existing switch has 4 wires, Red, Black, White and Ground.
Do those wires all come from the same cable? It may be the end of a three-way switch loop, which seems like it could be a problem for that timer.
thadsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Electrician

Good point Thad. The timer being digital is going to require a neutral, and may not be in that switch box.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #5

It is GE SunSmart Digital Timer 15312
It is meant for a 3 way

Besides the four wires that are going to the current switch (Red, Black, White and Ground), there a bunch of White wires that are connect together in the box as well.

The wires to the current switch comes from two cables, Red, White and Ground come from one cable (the black from this cable goes some where else in the back); The Black wire to the current switch comes from another cable.

The link to the timer diagram is http://www.jascoproducts.com/support...al-eng-spn.pdf

Thanks.

Last edited by Drummer609; 03-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #6

That black from the other cable is the common connection. You need to determine if that black is the power feed or the light fixture feed. That timer must be installed so the common connection is the LOAD feed.

If that wire on the common goes to the light then connect like this.

2. Connect the black common wire to the timer blue wire.
3. Connect white wire to the timer black (line) wire.
4. Connect red wire to the timer red (traveler) wire.
5. Connect the white wire of the timer to the white wire bundle in the switch box (neutral).
6. Connect the green wire of the timer to ground in the switch box.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #7

Thumbs up

joed, thank you so much. It works like a charm. Appreciate everyone's comments.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #8

I spent an hour at Home Depot trying to resolve this question:

for the 3 wires leading to digital timer: black is hot, red is load, white wire. the black of timer goes to black incoming, blue of timer goes to red incoming, white to white, green to green, but where does red go to? I have another switch at the timer location, but this switch cant possibly be part of the configuration? or am i missing something? any help is greatly appreciated!
florida4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #9

The switch MUST be installed in the switch position that controls the fixture. It can not be installed in the switch position that receives power.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #10

At the 3-way switch that receives the line power did you remove the always hot common wire and a traveler wire, wire nut them together with the supplied jumper wire and then attach the other end of the jumper back to the common terminal?
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring GE SunSmart Digital Timer to a 3 way switch-gjhfg.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
goosebarry (05-16-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #11

I have the same question as Drummer (red, black & white going to the old 3-way) but the difference is that instead of a bundle of white wires in the box, I have a black & white that are nutted together. What does that mean?

Joe D said to connect the white from the timer to the white bundle in the box. It doesn't seem like I should do the same with the black & white I have.

Also, how can you tell which is the load side and which is the line side?

and/or

How do you determine which is the power feed and which is the light fixture feed?

Any help is much appreciated!
Chuck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck42 View Post
I have the same question as Drummer (red, black & white going to the old 3-way) but the difference is that instead of a bundle of white wires in the box, I have a black & white that are nutted together. What does that mean?

Joe D said to connect the white from the timer to the white bundle in the box. It doesn't seem like I should do the same with the black & white I have.

Also, how can you tell which is the load side and which is the line side?

and/or

How do you determine which is the power feed and which is the light fixture feed?

Any help is much appreciated!
The load side of the timer is the blue wire. The line side of the timer is the black wire.

As far as the white and black conductor wire nutted together, the black is most likely an always hot wire and the white is most likely part of a switch loop. If the white is part of a switch loop, the white should be reidentified with black tape or something at its ends.

Below is an example of a switch loop where a white wire is used to bring power to a switch.

Last edited by hammerlane; 12-04-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #13

Hammerlane, thanks for you replies, but I should have been clearer on with my first question...how do I determine which switch is load and which is line, not on the timer itself? One switch is by my front door, and the other is in the garage. They both control two outdoor lights, which is why I need the timer.

Quote:
As far as the white and black conductor wire nutted together, the black is most likely an always hot wire and the white is most likely part of a switch loop. If the white is part of a switch loop, the white should be reidentified with black tape or something at its ends.
So should I connect any of the timer wires to this? The white is not identified, but it comes in from one line with a black wire that is connected to the original switch, and the other line has black, white & red, with the white & red connected to the original switch and the black nutted with the other white. Wow! This is getting confusing.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck42 View Post
how do I determine which switch is load and which is line, not on the timer itself? One switch is by my front door, and the other is in the garage. They both control two outdoor lights, which is why I need the timer.
Use a meter. With lights off, Attach one lead to the common terminal of one of the 3-ways, attach the other meter lead to a neutral or ground wire in the box.

If the meter reads about 115V, then that is your always hot wire. If the meter reads 0V, turn the lights at that switch and if the meter then shows about 115V, the wire at that common terminal is your switched hot or goes to the load.

You need to supply a diagram of all cables and where the wires from each cable are going to

Last edited by hammerlane; 05-16-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #15

Wiring GE SunSmart Digital Timer to a 3 way switch-front-light-switch-1980-x-1758-.jpg

This shows the configuration of the box I'm trying to figure out how to connect my timer to. The timer has black, white, red, blue & ground. I'm still not sure how to connect the wires.