Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Share |

wiring a garden shed

I recently went through the process of wiring a new shed. The electrical is for light duty only. I have no intentions of running heavy voltage tools etc.

I tapped into an existing 12-2 power line in the garage using 14-2 (used all proper boxes, pigtailing etc.), ran the NM through plastic conduit, under ground to the shed. I have wired in 3 receptacles, 2 interior lights (60 watt bulbs), and one exterior motion detector light. (again, all proper boxing, stapling, running etc.)

My question is: have I created a problem by tapping into a 12-2 wire with 14-2 ?
If so, can I re-run 12-2 from my "tap in" to the shed and install a small breaker box with a 15 amp breaker instead of having to re-wire the entire shed?
Since the electric is for light duty only, can I leave it as is?

tgoschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

wiring a garden shed

Yes you have created a problem. You can not do it legally. And now that you told everyone that you did, you need to remove the #14 nm and use either #10 or #12 UF, depending how far the shed is from the garage. The reason for UF, is that it is rated for use in ground, NM is not.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

wiring a garden shed

I was fairly certain I would get that advise, and will do that as that is not all that difficult to remedy. The shed is 10 ft from the garage, and I ran the NM 12" deep in PVC.

From that point, can I retain the 14-2 and 14-3 wire I have used in the shed?
Will I have to put a sub-panel in to accommodate a 15 amp breaker, can I install a 20 amp wall switch where the power wire comes into the shed, and use that as a "shut off"?

Another question. I am using plastic boxes. Will I have to run a grounding stake, or will connecting the ground to the incoming ground from my "tap-in" be sufficient?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

wiring a garden shed

Since the wires inside the shed are #14, you have to put a small panel in and put in a 15 amp breaker for the shed.

The wire to the shed can not be nm.

you could replace the breaker that feeds that circuit to a 15 amp and only have to replace the wire from the house to the shed with uf cable.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #5

wiring a garden shed

First. Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it.
To sum up:
I can leave the 14-2 NM on the inside of the garage where I "tapped-in" to existing 12-2 wire on a 20 amp breaker.
I need to replace the 14-2 NM with 12-2 UF from the exit point at garage to the inside of shed.
At that point I must put in a sub panel with a 15 amp breaker.
Connect my existing 14-2 to the sub panel

Finally, do I need to run a grounding rod for the shed, or will the ground wire provided by the house be sufficient for safely grounding my receptacles and switches etc?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

wiring a garden shed

...ahem...you can't run cable in conduit. You will need individual wires.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

wiring a garden shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Got a code ref?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

wiring a garden shed

Quote:
We have this opinionated argument on here all of the time. Conduit is used to protect NM, especially in those areas that it can be damaged, such as in a garage, shed or basement.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
liscenced electrician

wiring a garden shed

Quote:
Says who?

You have several violations. You currently (probably) have #14 being protected by a 20 amp breaker. Your pvc isn't deep enough and you can't run normal romex underground, or even outside. You should dig your line down another foot and put in 12-2 and a sub panel. Your sub panel must have a disconnect rated for 60amps.

With that many problems in one spot I'm guessing you have violation through out. Maybe some pics so we can help remedy the rest of your violations
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #10

wiring a garden shed

wow. I have created quite the firestorm here.
As for how deep my PVC conduit is buried; it is based on other information I read that said 12 to 18". The deeper I got the more tree roots I ran into, so I stopped at 12".
I am going to replace the 14-2 that taps into the garage with 12-2. I am going to replace the 14-2 NM in PVC with 12-2 underground rated wire.
I am going to put in a sub panel with a 15 amp breaker to accommodate all of the 14-2 wire I have run throughout the shed.
How does all of this sound?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

wiring a garden shed

Does the receptacles you tapped have gfci protection?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #12

wiring a garden shed

I actually tapped off the line between my two garage door openers using a junction box.

In the shed I am using 1 gfci receptacle to protect the other two standard.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

wiring a garden shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
Says who?

You have several violations. You currently (probably) have #14 being protected by a 20 amp breaker. Your pvc isn't deep enough and you can't run normal romex underground, or even outside. You should dig your line down another foot and put in 12-2 and a sub panel. Your sub panel must have a disconnect rated for 60amps.

With that many problems in one spot I'm guessing you have violation through out. Maybe some pics so we can help remedy the rest of your violations
I for one am curious, where you are coming up with protecting the circuit with a 60 amp breaker. This is a 120vac, 20amp circuit.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
liscenced electrician

wiring a garden shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
i for one am curious, where you are coming up with protecting the circuit with a 60 amp breaker. This is a 120vac, 20amp circuit.
225.39 (d)
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

wiring a garden shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
225.39 (d)
Boy, aren't you off on that one. Suggest that you read it yourself, and go back to the original post, that states that this is a single 120vac 20amp circuit.