Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 03:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

wiring furniture

I have just finished building 2 narrow bookcases, a secretary that I will use as my computer station and a cabinet that I will use as a pantry/coffee serving/food warming area. All four of them are 6'6" tall. I would like to set them up to be able to provide electricity to do the following:

The bookcases: I want to mount lights in the top so shine up on the ceiling and provide a warm, indirect mood lighting. The ceiling is vaulted in this room. I also want to either install a light or two underneath one of the shelves or be able to attach a light to the side of the bookcase to illuminate the sofa area (the sofa is between the 2 bookcases). What kind of lighting will be best for this? I want all lighting in this room to be connected to a remote control. Dimmers would be a plus. I would prefer lighting that doesn't generate a lot of heat but I also prefer yellow light to the glaring white of florescent.

The pantry: I will have a water dispenser that has a built in electric heater; a drop coffee maker and a place to plug in 2 cooking appliances (an electric chafing dish or hot plate). I also want lights on the top to shine on the ceiling.

Computer cabinet: wires galore!! I also want this to have lights on the top to project upward. It has 4 levels of shelves that will need at least 4 outlets at each level for low level power. The greatest power hog will be my desktop, at 500 watts. The other devices include: battery chargers, notebook pc, cell phone recharger, printer, etc. Is it better to put the outlets in the ceiling of each shelf so that dust and objects (paperclips) don't fall into them? I was thinking of cutting a hole in the top of the back and mounting outlets so that they are flush with the interior side of the wall - though that means they would stick out a little in the back. That might not be a bad idea because I will put a fan in the lower area to such air out of the desktop computer area - it will soon be enclosed with doors.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. While I have some skills with wood I am a raw beginning with wiring things, though I have common sense.

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

wiring furniture

Some of the newest LED fixtures out for such puposes put out some nice light color, but one definitely must pay attention to this. There are still some with that cold white light. LED would be my first choice. Some are dimmable, but you must shop for this feature as well. Search online for this. Perhaps even some of that LED tape or ribbon would work:

http://www.ledworldlighting.com/ledstrip.html

Regarding outlets for your cabinets, putting them in the ceiling of each bay may help with paper clips, but power supplies and other heavy devices may fall out. My preference would be to mount outlets to the back or side walls.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote