DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring fixture free line voltage LED's

2K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  k_buz 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how to install these lights in new construction and still be up to code? they are 120VAC light with their own Powersupply/driver the RED/Black wires are Low voltage DC but the BLUE/BROWN wires are 120VAC. How do i put this is joist space undercode?

See less See more
#28 ·
Some of you might recognize the name...

The CE mark does not require testing and or evaluation by a third party and that is why it is not accepted as a NRTL. The manufacturers self certify that their products meet the standards and place the CE mark on the product.

Reactions: frenchelectrican
#2 ·
Judging by the colors of the input wires, I would have to guess that this is an European device and is not UL listed. Thus, not legal to install in the US. If you have a link to the product, we may be able to figure it out.

#8 ·
If they are not listed, which they do not appear to be listed for use in the US, then they are not legal to install in the US and will fail inspection.

They do appear to be listed for use in Canada.

#11 ·
mpoulton said:
If it's listed by any agency whatsoever, then it may pass. The NEC doesn't require any specific listing, only that luminaires be listed by an entity recognized by the authority having jurisdiction. The inspector, as a representative of the AHJ, could choose to accept any listing. The intent of this rule is to avoid fire risks, since light fixtures have historically involved a lot of heat dissipation. Since LED fixtures pose so little risk, this rule is arguably irrelevant and the inspector might be convinced to "recognize" the CE mark on these.
It has to be listed for use in the US. It is not, as far as I can tell.

#20 ·
The RoHS stamp means that contains less than a certain amount of hazardous materials.

The FCC logo means that it will not produce interference.

Neither of these mean that the product is actually a listed product.

#21 ·
The RoHS stamp means that contains less than a certain amount of hazardous materials.

The FCC logo means that it will not produce interference.

Neither of these mean that the product is actually a listed product.
I understand that and no they absolutely do not mean it is listed. In fact it is not listed. These are certifications ... meaning that these USA agencies have evaluated the product and it ,in their opinion, meets the necessary standards for the product in question for what they evaluted it for.

You do not have to have the god almighty mother may I UL label to install the product in your home .... it's not a bad idea ... in fact it should give you some peace of mind. However I do not place them (UL) on a pedestal as some of the stuff they test and label is out right junk.

I'm simply saying that the inspector or AHJ either/or/both can allow the product if certifications lend them to believe the product is suitable equipment for the application that it has been designed.

#22 ·
I 100% agree that a product does not need a UL listing. I also agree that the AHJ has the final say. With that said, my inspectors would ask to see a listing for these fixtures and I don't think I could get one of them to pass it.

#23 ·
I 100% agree that a product does not need a UL listing. I also agree that the AHJ has the final say. With that said, my inspectors would ask to see a listing for these fixtures and I don't think I could get one of them to pass it.
That's quite possible, though as I said before inspectors at rough in aren't too terribly concerned about what happens after the end of the branch circuit ....:)

#27 ·
This should put an end to any questions...
http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtlmrk.html
Not at all. OSHA's recognition of certain testing labs has no bearing whatsoever on an AHJ's acceptance of equipment listings. OSHA is never the AHJ for NEC enforcement. That's like saying that because the TSA requires 4-ounce shampoo bottles on airplanes, the local cops can't let you drive through town with a 12-ounce bottle.

#26 ·
I'm not sure how that tells us if the product can be sold and installed in the USA .... ?? I believe that only is telling us what NRTL's are recognized by OSHA.

At any rate the contact e-mail for the company offering this product for sale in St. Louis MO. would not accept my inquiry . So I called them. All their products are for sale and for use in the USA. The recessed light fixture we are looking at is made in the UK and carries the necessary certifications to allow it to be exported and sold for use in this country. That's about all the information the guy could tell me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.