Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #1

Share |

wiring fan, light, heater another light and GFCI

Help!!

I've done some wiring but I fear I'm in over my head. I put a new bathroom fan in with a light and heater. Old one didn't have heater. Opened the 3 gang box (had fan switch, light switch and GFCI. I now have a combo fan and light switch, a switch for the heater, and a GFCI to wire. There are 5 cables coming into the box, one is power, one goes to the other light on wall (with switch at door) one goes to the fan/light (original three wire and ground), one I think continues on to another receptacle and a new line I added for the heater (2 wire and ground). Looks like the power goes into the line end of the GFCI, load out to the fan/light switch and also pigtailed to the heater switch. Neutral coming back from the heater, fan/light all go together. The wiring looks like but I'm afraid to turn the circuit back on. I've attached a document with a picture if that helps. Hard to see.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Full page photo.pdf (48.3 KB, 55 views)

Cvolpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Did you add a new circuit for the heater?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #3

As we do not know which wire goes where, no way to say for sure if it is correct or not.

I do not see where all the grounds are tied together, that is a violation.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

I do have all the grounds tied together.

I turned the breaker on and nothing blew up but the GFCI tripped. Is this because I'm feeding the fan/light and heater from the load side? or do I have a short somewhere in my scheme which is causing it to trip?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

There is a black coming off the GFI that has the neutral that does not look like it is off the GFI, but out of a neutral bundle. This will cause an imbalance that will trip the GFI.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #6

Ok I made a wiring diagram of how I have it wired. I did not create a new circuit for the heater. It is on the same circuit as the rest of the bathroom. All the rest of the circuit is working except ffan/light/ heater which is fed off the GFCI line side
Attached Thumbnails
wiring fan, light, heater another light and GFCI-img_0751.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

We can stop right here until you run a new circuit for the heater, unless this is a heat lamp, it will require a dedicated circuit for the heater.
Code05 (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #8

Damm that is what I'm afraid of. The bathroom is on the second floor. running a new circuit will be very difficult. I'd rather replace the unit with one with no heater.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
" Euro " electrician

I can see the problem allready with your fan / light unit switch if you ran the netural on line side you will trip the RCD ( GFCI ) no question asked so you will have to move it to the load side to keep them on the same " page "

Second thing is the heater unit they will required it own circuit due the heater wattage is about 1500 watts ( Give or take couple watts ) so the manufacter instruction will mention very clear it have to be on it own circuit.

If you can't do this you can exchange for non heater unit or leave the heater circuit disabled ( you will have to leave a note ) until you get second circuit bring out and isolated the rest so the heater/ fan / light it own circuit for that unit.

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

Thanks Frenchelectritian but I think you meant don't wire the fan switch to the load side of the GFCI because that's how it was wired and the GFCI kept tripping. When I rewired the fan/light off the line side of the GFCI everything works fine. I did not wire the heater for now because I was afraid of blowing the circuit but the directions for the bathroom fan (by Broan) doesn't say anything about a seperate circuit. All it says is you need a 120V 20 amp circuit. I know with the existing circuit I can run a hair dryer no problem but if I am ironing and my kid uses the hair dryer at the same time the circuit breaker trips. I guess this means that if I wire the heater into the circuit no one will be able to iron or dry their hair is the heater is on.

Thanks everyone for your help. Great forum. I could read it for hours. Great teaching tool .
Tvolpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Licensed electrician

If the fan is mounted above the tub or shower footprint it will require GFI protection.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #12

The fan is in the middle of the bathroom not over sink or shower so I should be ok

Tvolpe is offline   Reply With Quote