Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #1

Share |

Wiring an explosion proof fan

I thought this would be easy, but I am too much an amateur..help please..

Dayon model 3XK55F. 115 volt set up.

wiring diagram shows the following:

P1 - line 1

red - Insulfate
P2 - Insulate
Orange - Insulate

Black - line 2
white - line 2
yellow - line2

I do not know what Insulate, line 1 or line 2 are. help please.
thanks john

jlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #2

Why are you using an explosionproof fan?

Are you installing it in a classified hazardous location?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #3

putting together a home spray booth to mass paint oil based finish on moulding I am making for the entire house.

Not a commerical installation nor fan. Got the fan thru a woodworker supply outfit.

Vents outside, totally enclosed.

Very basic set up. I have the room and since I am doing oil, wanted to do it right and safe.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #4

I see no reason why you should have to PICO (insulate) the conduit feeding the fan. And I seriously doubt your set up is a classified location. Insulating the wires is accomplished by the use of a fitting that is filled with a fire stop solution.
Since you have your booth well ventilated, temporary and is not a commercial application I see no reason to be concerned.
I am sure someone will disagree with me.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #5

JV - I agree. this is not that big of a deal compared to an industrial application.

My question is = what do I connect to what? I am assuming I only need 14-2 to connect ot fan. Whihc wire goes where based on the diagram below? Or am I missing something big here? Black goes to what, and white goes to what? Green to ground...

Motor wires - ?

P1 - line 1

red - Insulfate
P2 - Insulate
Orange - Insulate

Black - line 2
white - line 2
yellow - line2
Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaurent View Post
JV - I agree. this is not that big of a deal compared to an industrial application.

My question is = what do I connect to what? I am assuming I only need 14-2 to connect ot fan. Whihc wire goes where based on the diagram below? Or am I missing something big here? Black goes to what, and white goes to what? Green to ground...

Motor wires - ?

P1 - line 1

red - Insulfate
P2 - Insulate
Orange - Insulate

Black - line 2
white - line 2
yellow - line2
14/2 is fine. You must have a switch unless the fan has one.
There must be a wiring diagram printed on this fan. Maybe inside the connection box, or on the nameplate.

This is 120/240 volt dual voltage fan, but what you have above makes no distinction for the voltage. So impossible to tell you.

I would contact www.grainger.com, get a phone number for tech support and have them verify before you hook this up.

Let me know.....John
Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #7

JV - good stuff. thaks for the insight.

there are two diagrams on the motor...this is the one for 110v.

Does this make it more obvious?

What is Line1, Insulate and Line 2 in laymans terms? = Black, White, green wires?

P1 - line 1

red - Insulfate
P2 - Insulate
Orange - Insulate

Black - line 2
white - line 2
yellow - line2

thanks
JL
Old 10-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #8

I think JV is right . When it says " insulate " , tape up the wires individually .
You should find a wiring diagram for 110v and 220 ,where you would use the other wires. I am industrial electrician and at times , I have to do the best with the info I have . I would terminate as follows , for 110 :
Black to black (hot )
White to hot ( neutral )
Yellow to green or bare wire ( ground )
You can use an ohm meter to double check continuity from chassis to yellow wire to make sure it goes to ground .
electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #9

Electro/JV - thanks for the help..but maybe I am not explaining myself very well. One last try.

the wiring diagram for 110 says the following:

the motor has 7 wires coming out of it, and the diagram says to hook them up as follows:

P1 (wire is black with "P1" on it) from the motor - goes to Line 1 coming in

Red, P2(wire is black with "P2" on it) and Orange from the motor - go to Insulate coming in

Black, white and yellow from the motor - go to Line 2 coming in.

Which of Line 1, Line 2 and Insulate are the traditional Black/White/Ground in 14/2 wire.

really..thanks for the advice. Wish I could explain myself better.

try one last time.
thanks
JL
Old 10-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #10

I could take a guess , and probably get it right . If is a new fan , you would be better off to ask Grainger or where ever you got it so you don't screw up the warranty . Or , contact Dayton Technical support .
Old 10-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

It looks like you should be able to do the following based on the information above:

Connect the White (neutral) wire to the P1 connector, the Black to Black, White, and Yellow (line 2) and tie the ground to a chassis screw. The last three wires, Red, P2, and Orange, use a wire nut on each one individually and cap them off.

Let us know how it works out!
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #12

I would think that is reverse polarity . Line 1 ( P1 ) would be black and line 2 would be white .
Is this a new fan ? If so , call the dealer for conformation .
Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
I would think that is reverse polarity . Line 1 ( P1 ) would be black and line 2 would be white .
Is this a new fan ? If so , call the dealer for conformation .
It's AC, its not going to matter (it would if it was DC). Worse case scenario it will run backwards and in that case just swap the neutral and hot incoming.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
It's AC, its not going to matter (it would if it was DC). Worse case scenario it will run backwards and in that case just swap the neutral and hot incoming.
The only way to change rotation on a single phase motor is to follow the manufacturers instructions. Reversing the neutral and hot will not do it. It's usually # 5 & # 8 you interchange. The motor he has, has P1 & P2. In the real world these two designations are for an external thermal disconnect.
Normally P1 & P2 would be capped off or connected in series with the run winding for automatic thermal shutdown.
OP, Please contact Grainger or Dayton. Know one here can tell you for sure how this thing should be connected. I looked up your fan and I know what you paid for it. This is no time for trial and error.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
Idiot Emeritus

Here's how to connect this motor for 115 volts.

P1 goes to the hot incoming line. If you're using a 14/2 or 12/2 NM (Romex), or a cord, this will be the black wire. The reason P1 is tied to the hot and not the neutral is because it goes to the thermal protector, and if it trips, it's better to break the hot wire.

Red, P2, and orange all tie together.

Black, yellow, white, and the incoming neutral (usually white) all tie together.

Orange wirenuts will work, except you might need a yellow one on the black-yellow-white-neutral connection, because there's 4 wires to contend with.

The above connection will usually give counter-clockwise rotation when looking at the back of the motor, with the shaft pointing away from you. To reverse rotation, interchange the red and black wires. The connection would then be; black,-P2-orange tied together; and red-yellow-white-and the incoming neutral tied together.

Write back if you have any trouble hooking this up, me or one of the others around here will walk you through it.

Rob

P.S. The green or bare wire (ground) always goes to the frame, usually there's a green screw to put it under.

micromind is offline   Reply With Quote