Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #1

Share |

Wiring an exhaust bathroom fan

I have addded a new exhaust fan to an existing bathrrom with a vanity light. the power goes to the fixture then runs the wire back to the single switch. I ran the fan the same way running power from the bax to the fan then back to the switch (just like the light). when I hooked it up the breaker pops when I turn the fan off at the switch and will not let me reset the breaker unless the fan is set to on from the switch.....what am I doing wrong????please help!

Last edited by Earl Shanburn; 07-21-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: and yes I added a dual switch to keep them seperate
Earl Shanburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

You've wired the switch to the neutral and hot creating a direct short. If you have power at the fixture (fan), connect the incoming white to the white of the fixture, connect the black of the switch leg (**/2 cable running from the fixture to the switch) to the black of the fixture, connect the incoming black to the white of the switch leg (put a piece of black tape on this white to signify it is hot). At the switch, connect to white (black tape here also) to one screw and the black to the other.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

so I should keep the direct power from the existing light fixture but connect the hot (black wire) to the white and reverse the black and white wire at the switch? so the black wire from the switch is the only wire hooked at the fan?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Licensed Pro

Maybe I misunderstood how you wired it up... did you run a new cable from the light fixture to the new fan, then a new cable from the fan to a new switch? Or did you try to wire the fan from the existing switch? If all you have at the existing switch is two wires, then you can't wire the new fan from that switch... no neutral present.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #5

you understood correctly I have the existing light at the switch and added the new line from the light fixture to the fan and added a line from the fan to the switched and installed a new switch
Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Licensed Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Shanburn View Post
so I should keep the direct power from the existing light fixture but connect the hot (black wire) to the white and reverse the black and white wire at the switch? so the black wire from the switch is the only wire hooked at the fan?
The white from the direct power is hooked to the white from the fan and the black from the switch loop is hooked to the black from the fan.

The black from the direct power is hooked to the white from the switch loop (remark this white with black tape).

The switch should only have two wires available, one black and one white (remarked). Doesn't make a difference how they are connected on the switch, although I always like to put the constant hot (white in this case) on the bottom.

Earl Shanburn (07-21-2011)