Wiring An Electric Wall Oven - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Wiring an Electric Wall Oven

I am working on the electrical for our kitchen remodel and am trying to run power for a single wall oven. The refrigerator is sliding over to fit in a cabinet for a wall oven and separate microwave with trim kit.

In the existing outlet box for the refrigerator, there is a 12-3 line. The black wire goes to the refrigerator outlet and the red wire supplies power to one of the GFCI small appliance branches. The wall oven only needs a 20A breaker, according to the installation instructions. So, can I go ahead and use this junction box and circuit for the oven? I know that I would need to run a new line for the refrigerator and GFCI branch, if I do.

Also, if I use that 12-3 line, the current junction box would be directly behind the oven. Would it be better to move the junction box up behind the microwave or down below the oven, behind the drawer at the bottom of the cabinet? None of those options make the junction box easily accessible, if that makes any difference. Behind the drawer is the more accessible of those.

Advertisement

gpraceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,796

The installation instructions should show an area that the junction box will fit and not interfere with the oven.

I would leave the existing alone and just pull the new circuit.

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
DIY'er

The install instructions don't have a diagram showing junction box location. I did find these sections in the instructions:

Quote:
Electrical supply junction box should be located 3" maximum below the support surface when oven is installed in a wall cabinet. A 1" minimum diameter hole should have been drilled in the right or left rear corner of the support surface to pass the appliance cable through to the junction box.
Quote:
For undercounter installation, it is recommended that the junction box be located in the adjacent right or left cabinet. If you are installing the junction box on rear wall behind oven, it is recommended that the junction box be recessed and located in the upper center of the cabinet.
While, I know that this is going into a wall cabinet, the 2nd note indicates that it is acceptable to have the junction box behind the wall oven.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Special User

Rewards Points: 628

I take it this is a propane or natural gas oven since it only requires 20A 120V? Is there an electric broiler element or is the electric there only to ignite the gas burners?

If it's straight gas (no electric broiler), I'd have no qualms about sharing the refrigerator circuit with a gas ignitor (I believe sharing the countertop circuits would not be allowed by code though).

If this oven does have an electric broiler, I'd pull a new circuit to reduce the risk of nuisance breaker trips.

We've had a similar discussion here about whether a receptacle behind a microwave is considered "accessible". I consider it accessible, but I'm not an electrician -- and I believe at least some of the real electricians said it was not accessible. But that aside, if your instructions say it's acceptable to put it behind the oven, and this oven is listed by the UL or similar nationally recognized test lab, then it should be legal. The NEC recognizes the instructions of a listed appliance as valid "code".
Old 05-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
DIY'er

It is a single electric convection wall oven, not gas. I have double checked the install instructions and it is rated at 4120W and 17.2A at 240V and requires a 20A breaker.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
DIY'er

Here's the install instructions:

KitchenAid KEBS109BSS
http://www.kitchenaid.com/digitalass...0W10351242.pdf
Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Special User

Rewards Points: 628

Aha, now I get it. Yes you can use the existing junction box and 12/3 cable (if you then run new circuits to serve the countertop and refrigerator).

You'll also want to move the existing breaker(s) in the panel to serve the new countertop circuits, and install a new 2-pole common trip to serve the existing 12/3 going to the oven. (240V has to be common-trip.)

Advertisement