Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |

Wiring for an electric tankless water heater

I bought a 240v water heater, assuming I could plug it into the dryer outlet. Unfortunately, the water heater is a 54 amp draw, while the dryer breaker is only 30 amps. I assume I need to get a 60 amp breaker, but do I need to re-wire that line as well?

madleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by madleader View Post
I bought a 240v water heater, assuming I could plug it into the dryer outlet. Unfortunately, the water heater is a 54 amp draw, while the dryer breaker is only 30 amps. I assume I need to get a 60 amp breaker, but do I need to re-wire that line as well?
You can't install a cord on a water heater, and I doubt the water heater draws more than 4500 watts.... So you'll have to post the nameplate to show the actual wattage of the water heater. If you are adding both elements together, don't... because they don't run at the same time, this of course if for a standard water heater, I don't know exactly what you purchased.

EDIT, I missed the title of your thread, (tankless water heater) if the unit truly draws 54 amps, then you are going to need a new circuit run to the appliance.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 07-21-2012 at 12:03 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
madleader (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
I bought a 240v water heater, assuming I could plug it into the dryer outlet.
WHY would you possibly think this? Who told you this was possible?

Quote:
Unfortunately, the water heater is a 54 amp draw,
Pretty low for a tankless monster. I seriously doubt this will support a whole house.

Quote:
while the dryer breaker is only 30 amps. I assume I need to get a 60 amp breaker, but do I need to re-wire that line as well?
Well, if the dryer line is a typical 30A circuit, wired with the proper size wire for a 30A circuit, I think it is only logical that it will NOT support a 54A draw OR a 60A breaker.

It makes absolutely no sense to "re-wire" or remove the dryer circuit. Just run a new circuit(s) for the now tankless and leave the dryer circuit alone.
Or better yet, lose the electric tankless and get a more economical gas unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
bob22 (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #4

Stickboy1375, I guess I have just one follow-up question. I know nothing about this subject so it may sound ridiculous, but would the unit draw fewer amps at a lower heat setting, or does it draw the same regardless of the setting?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Stickboy1375, I guess I have just one follow-up question. I know nothing about this subject so it may sound ridiculous, but would the unit draw fewer amps at a lower heat setting, or does it draw the same regardless of the setting?
I really don't know how the internals work on those units, but you have to size your circuit based on the nameplate of the appliance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
madleader (07-21-2012), Speedy Petey (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
I know nothing about this subject so it may sound ridiculous,..........
Were you planning on installing this unit yourself?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #7

Speedy Petey:
You might lose a bit of the condescension. I'm sure everyone understands that you are absolutely brilliant. The purpose of this site is to help out those unfamiliar in certain DIY areas, so if you have nothing productive to offer, put a lid on it.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Speedy makes some valid points, I think a lot of your questions should have been asked, 'before' you made this purchase...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (07-22-2012), HIVOLT (07-23-2012), J. V. (07-22-2012), Jim Port (07-21-2012), Speedy Petey (07-21-2012), Toofarfromfenwa (07-26-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by madleader
Speedy Petey:
You might lose a bit of the condescension. I'm sure everyone understands that you are absolutely brilliant. The purpose of this site is to help out those unfamiliar in certain DIY areas, so if you have nothing productive to offer, put a lid on it.
The harsh remarks stem from the fact that you could have cause serious harm to your home and worse to yourself from attempting this. You actually did the right thing by asking before doing but from the sound of things it may be a little over your head being new to electrical. Start small don't start big.

As said a picture of the nameplate will be a good place to start.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #10

Well, now, that's the whole point. I realized this was something on which I needed to consult, and I will be returning the item. I looked at slightly smaller plug-in POU systems at Home Depot, but ended up buying at Amazon. The "advice" offered by Petey was meant only to belittle, not to save me from myself, which indicates an individual who is more than a little insecure.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #11

Get a grip madleader. You read WAY more into that than was there.
Maybe you should be a little less sensitive and realize everyone is not out to get you.
And than you for the compliment. I never considered myself brilliant, but if you think so I appreciate it.

Now go back and re-read my first reply, without the chip on tour shoulder, and realize I WAS trying to help.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
andrew79 (07-21-2012), ddawg16 (07-21-2012), frenchelectrican (07-22-2012), HIVOLT (07-23-2012), Jim Port (07-21-2012), mpoulton (07-21-2012), stickboy1375 (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
Master Electrician

Unless you find a unit 30a or less you won't be able to use the dryer circuit. Anything larger will have to rewired and a new breaker installed. Also you shouldn't alter the plug that comes on the new unit. Buy the right receptacle for the plug or if it doesn't have a plug wire it direct.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
E2 Electrician

Biggest issue I have always concluded with text is that its black and white, and how someone reads it one way and another person reads it another has always baffled me....
Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #14

I'll just add, we see A LOT of folks coming here for advice after the fact. Then they get upset when the answers are not what they wanted to hear. Most folks like this jump full on into projects they are completely unprepared for. This is NOT a good recipe for electrical work.
Most of us here are here to try and prevent folks from getting hurt or hurting others. This may ruffle a few feathers from time to time, and I am OK with that. You know what they say about making an omelet......
Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375
Biggest issue I have always concluded with text is that its black and white, and how someone reads it one way and another person reads it another has always baffled me....
As evidenced by the fact that I get yelled at as soon as I walk through the door due to a text message misunderstanding