Wiring Double Switch Fan/light - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring Double Switch fan/light

I redid my bathroom and have wired everything up correctly, but for some reason I can't figure this out and each time I try hooking this up I keep tripping the breaker.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have an exhaust fan/light with a dual control (double pole combo switch), see photo below. I have 12/3 wire from the fan/light to the box. I've wired the 12/3 correctly to the fan/light (hooking three whites together, Red to blue, Black to black and ground to the fan grounding screw).

I have the main power going into a GFI outlet in the IN LINE and I want to protect the fan/light on the GFI.

first how do hook up the 12/3 line which I ran to the fan/light to the dual control and then still hook the main power from the GFI (LOAD OUT)? I've included the picture of the back of the double switch. Information is very vague on the web and it's not very specific on telling people how to hook this up. I did find one article that mentioned removing the bridge between the common wires but it wasn't very specific other than that. I know how to hook up a simple switch, but this double switch thing is confusing when I've got 12/3 wire and the GFI LOAD OUT that needs to go to it. Can someone help me. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring Double Switch fan/light-double-switch.jpg   Wiring Double Switch fan/light-double-switch2.jpg  

Advertisement

mjbcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hot wire goes to black screw, only one needed. They are bridged with that brass piece between. Fan goes to one switch brass screw, light to the other. And you will need a neutral at the fan. If you are getting power to the switch from the fan box, you will need another wire from the fan box to the switch box for hot. If the hot is in the switch box, you only need the 3 wires to the fan, Blk/Red/white, + gnd.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

You would only break off the bridge if you were controlling two different circuits .
Are you tripping the GFCI or a regular breaker in the panel ?
I don't see a need for GFCI protection for the fan , but make sure you are using the neutral out as well as the hot out .
electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the advise, hopefully others will use this as a reference as well. BTW, I was a little impaitent and decided to try it by removing the bridge. I hooked everything up as mentioned, but noticed that I only had one switch operating. Makes sense now why the other switch didn't work because it had no power. Regardless, I pigtailed a hot onto the other common again from the GFI and it now works with without any problems. Sounds like I could have saved me one less step and one less pig tail had I not removed the bridge. Also, the GFI wasn't tripping before and was related to the circut breaker box. I think it had something with me not completing the circut and was basically having two hots meeting one another and thats why it tripped. I wondered if GFI'ing the fan/light was a little overkill, but seeing how it was over a shower and the switch was near the sink it wouldn't hurt to add them to the circut and protect every receptacle and switch in the bathroom
Old 10-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

So if I'm understanding right , everything is working ?
electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #6

yes everything works fine. Thanks.

Advertisement