Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

Wiring of Dining Room Fan

Hi Guys ~ and Girls

I had a contractor do several things around my home one of which was drywall which he managed to screw up and the other was the installation of some lights and a ceiling fan in the dinning room (the ceiling fan also has a light). After he installed the dinning room ceiling fan/light it would shut off unexpectedly. It's gotten so bad I turn the light on "using the wall switch" and after a few seconds it shuts off. My stepfather "replaced the wall light switch" but that didn't help and it just got worse and worse. Now I have no light in the dinning room.

Did this contractor wire the light incorrectly??? He was lamenting about it while he was installing the fan/light and said there was something wrong with the "fan". The fan is brand new got it at Lowe's. I said I don't think "it's the fan"!! He got it to work after he installed it but now it shuts off and won't stay on!!

Any ideas?? I need this fixed.

Thanks
Barbara

Sycamore Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

I’d check the connections at the ceiling. Probably a loose connection. Have someone qualified/competent look at the connections 1) for loose connections 2) that it’s wired properly in the first place. Just to be sure.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

The fan and the light are separate devices. Each need power and have their own physical switch to turn on/off, usually by pull cords. These can be hot wired into a ceiling box and controlled by the pull cords (no wall switch). The wiring for hot power in the ceiling box can be just a black and a white wire and the wiring for the fan and light both connect to the black and white wires. (There's likely a green or bare ground wire too.) The white wires on the unit get twisted together (one from fan, one from light) and connect to the white wire in the ceiling box. The other 2 wires, one for fan and one for light get twisted together and connect to the black wire in the ceiling box. The '2 wires' are usually 1 black and 1 blue but can be different by manufacturer.

When one wall switch is used, it's just another break of the current to the ceiling box and the wiring in the ceiling box is as above.

Many people prefer 2 wall switches, one supplying hot power to the light only, the other to the fan only. This requires 3 wires going from the wall switch box to the ceiling box. Usually 1 black, 1 red and 1 white. The black connects to the black in the ceiling box and the blue connects to the red in the ceiling box. The black in the ceiling box connect to one wall switch and the red in the ceiling box connect to the other wall switch.

Some one needs to check if wiring is correct.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. The fan works by pulling on the chain but the light turns itself off regardless of the switch used. I talked to an electrician that did the work for a buddy's business and he said we may be able to get around it by using a remote. I do want the fan hooked up correctly though as I do not want to encounter the same problem down the road.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore Inn View Post
The fan works by pulling on the chain but the light turns itself off regardless of the switch used.
Many new ceiling fans have devices to prevent you from using higher wattage bulbs. If this light has multiple bulbs, try using just one and see if it stays on. If that's the case, you may need to use lower wattage bulbs--or the device could be defective.
thadsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

I’d still bet on a loose connection between the blue wire of the fan and the red or black of the house, or the blue & white connector in the light kit.

Using a remote isn’t going ‘to get around it’, if there is a loose connection or the light kit is truly bad. You said the light kind of worked at first, then started getting worse. Typical of a loose connection. I’d eliminate that first.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #7

Just pulled one of the three bulbs out of the light. It is the bulb that came with the fan and says 40W. Got out the phone book called 2 electricians. One said it was the fan "unit". The other one said it sounded like a "loose connection". Pulled out my receipt called Lowe's s/w the GM said my fan light isn't working??? He said 99% of the time it isn't the fan it's is the "wiring". Said I could exchange it though if needed.

Called the contractor's bond company said have a problem with this light need to file another claim!! I'M NOT PAYING FOR THIS OUT OF MY OWN POCKET unless it's the "fan". Not paying TWICE! Rrrrrrgggggggg!!!

Last edited by Sycamore Inn; 06-22-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #8

The fan light has 3 bulbs and I took the one out to look at it. I turned the switch on and right now the light is staying on with only the 2 light bulbs. It's been about 15 minutes and it hasn't shut off yet. Why is that?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:34 AM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
The fan light has 3 bulbs and I took the one out to look at it. I turned the switch on and right now the light is staying on with only the 2 light bulbs. It's been about 15 minutes and it hasn't shut off yet. Why is that?
The reason why is the watt limiter inside the ceiling fan to prevent overwattage the fan luminaire that is required by energy pact and couple other sources.

I can not tell how to bypass it.

So either use 40 watts bulbs or go with CFL { compact flourscent bulbs } that will useally slove the curpit.

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #10

Hi ~
The bulbs in the fan light are 40W bulbs and came with the fan. There are 3 bulbs and 3 light sockets. I turned the light on again this am using only 2 light bulbs and the light has stayed on. Hmmmm.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
" Euro " electrician

sound like you have defective watt limiter unit so the only way it can be done is bypass it or exchange for other unit one of the two { I rather exchange it due it was brand new so it should dealt with it }

Again have the electrician or yourself double check the wiring connection to make sure they are not loose anywhere at all.

Merci,
Marc
SD515 (06-24-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #12

Thanks Rocky - my buddy's electrician - will take a look at it when he has time. I'll let you know what he says.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #13

Now the light won't come on at all!! **** Sigh****. NOW I have to get it fixed.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #14
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Now the light won't come on at all!! **** Sigh****. NOW I have to get it fixed.
As I mention before if this is a brand new fan I am Sérieux that you should get that exchanged for other unit some case it may have manufacter defect in there which I know it will happen once a while.

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #15

Merci Beaucoup Rocky checked it on Thursday and said it was the fan. I returned it the same day and bought a different fan. This time I got a remote.

Bonjour ~