Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #1

Share |

wiring Difference Between Backfeed Breaker And Regular Breaker

I learned from internet that generator can be added to main panel by using a back-feed breaker.
A back-feed breaker looks exactly the same as any regular breaker . but this back-feed breaker received the generator and pass power to all the house loads. So how is the wiring difference between back-feed and regular breakers? ( I am not a technician nor engineer.)

alsxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
JOATMON

When you back feed a breaker, instead of the wires coming out of the breaker going to your circuits (outlets), the generator wiring is sending power into the breaker.

If you look at the back panel of a load cente (breaker panel) you will see a buss bar (flat bar with spikes sticking up). When you plug in a breaker, it's connected to the buss bar. Flip the breaker on and the voltage from that buss bar is now available on the output of the breaker.

If you back feed a breaker, the voltage on the terminals of the breaker is now connected to the buss bar.

A breaker does not care which direction current flows. It works the same if your using it normal or back feeding it.

Very important point.....your main breaker needs to be off if you are back feeding a panel....otherwise, not so pretty things can happen. If your breaker is sized right, the only 'event' should be the breaker tripping. If not sized right.....well....guess you will be asking more questions here.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #3

Yes, you need an interlock mechanism so that the back-fed generator breaker cannot be turned on unless the main is off. Or a transfer switch.

I'm aware that some jurisdictions require that a back-fed breaker be bolted down inside the panel, to ensure that it can't pop off of the bus while it is feeding power in.
fa_f3_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fa_f3_20 For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsxm View Post
I learned from internet that generator can be added to main panel by using a back-feed breaker.
A back-feed breaker looks exactly the same as any regular breaker . but this back-feed breaker received the generator and pass power to all the house loads. So how is the wiring difference between back-feed and regular breakers? ( I am not a technician nor engineer.)
They are the same unless it's a main breaker with hold down hardware.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendinh488
Vote ch? topic, chĂșc m?ng nam m?i@!!!
Methamphetamine or LSD?
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote