Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Share |

wiring diagram help

I'm installing some lights outside of my garage. I was hoping someone could help me verify this is the best way to wire with what I intend to do.

Two switches part of 4-gang box in garage. Running to junction box in center of one Wall. From that junction box, switch 1 controls two lights. Power also proceeds from the junction box to another junction box (on right in picture) In this box I will splice to UF-B cable to outside light which is controlled by switch 2.

I have some extra 12/3 laying around and I am hoping to use less 12/2 because I also need it elsewhere. I figured could save some some wiring and run 12/3 to the center junction box. Also, the reason I'm not making any splices in light boxes is because I'm using Siding blocks with build-in electrical boxes and fill capacity is only 6.7cu.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
wiring diagram help-sketch-2012-03-27-02_27_31.jpg  
benleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #2

wiring diagram help

After thinking about this more, I don't think I am able to do this because the 2 hots would be sharing the neutral but are on the same leg. The only way to do this would be to install tandem breaker/circuit, but I wanted these lights to be on the same circuit.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

wiring diagram help

I see no problem with it. As for the othe junction box, pnly way that will work, is if you use 14/3 or 12/3. As for the UF, if you are running underground, or across a crawlspace, or along the bottom of a manufactured home, no need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 03-27-2012 at 09:09 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #4

wiring diagram help

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleef View Post
After thinking about this more, I don't think I am able to do this because the 2 hots would be sharing the neutral but are on the same leg. The only way to do this would be to install tandem breaker/circuit, but I wanted these lights to be on the same circuit.

You are fine. You really only have one hot. It is just split into two switched hots. Everything is on the same breaker. You only need to be concerned when you have two hots from DIFFERENT breakers.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

wiring diagram help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You are fine. You really only have one hot. It is just split into two switched hots. Everything is on the same breaker. You only need to be concerned when you have two hots from DIFFERENT breakers.
I see it now. Basically the way my diagram is, would be the same if i ran two 12/2 cables because they are on the same circuit, they would connect to source neutral in the box anyways.

So, to be sure, there is no problem with my diagram and the first switch will control the two lights and the second switch will control the other light?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #6

wiring diagram help

Diagram look fine.