DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Wiring diagram for this basement (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wiring-diagram-basement-19266/)

eternalmma 03-30-2008 09:29 PM

Wiring diagram for this basement
 
Here is the diagram for my basement. I have 2 open circuits to use. The panel is to the right of the right bathroom wall. I have two questions. Could someone please draw on this and show me how to wire it correctly and two, which guages of romex to use. Do I use 2 or 3 wire also?

I cannot post the diagram. If anybody is interested I would sure like the help

Thanks

Donald

sparky120/240 03-30-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternalmma (Post 112361)
Here is the diagram for my basement. I have 2 open circuits to use. The panel is to the right of the right bathroom wall. I have two questions. Could someone please draw on this and show me how to wire it correctly and two, which guages of romex to use. Do I use 2 or 3 wire also?

I cannot post the diagram. If anybody is interested I would sure like the help

Thanks

Donald

What are you trying to wire?

If it is 120 VAC for a 20 amp circuit you would use 12/2 romex which has a hot wire, a neutral and a ground. For a 15 amp circuit you can use 14/2 romex.

A better description of what you are trying to do would help.

eternalmma 03-31-2008 07:23 AM

thanks sparky
 
Well thank you for the help. I tried to put the room layout with the placement of all switches and stuff but it is a visio drawing so can i email it to u?

LawnGuyLandSparky 03-31-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternalmma (Post 112361)
Could someone please draw on this and show me how to wire it correctly and two, which guages of romex to use. Do I use 2 or 3 wire also?

If you require total ground-up help with this, electrical wiring is not something you should be doing yourself.

eternalmma 03-31-2008 07:43 AM

thanks
 
Actually i did all the electrical in rooms berore but it was 1 room not 4. I know how to wire all the plugs together and how to put new breakers in. I just forgot how to add power to a switch for a light. there are 4 rooms,each w/ 1 switch and 1 light. can i just bring power from nearest plug to the switch then to the light?

do i bring white and black to switch?

CowboyAndy 03-31-2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternalmma (Post 112447)
Actually i did all the electrical in rooms berore but it was 1 room not 4. I know how to wire all the plugs together and how to put new breakers in. I just forgot how to add power to a switch for a light. there are 4 rooms,each w/ 1 switch and 1 light. can i just bring power from nearest plug to the switch then to the light?

do i bring white and black to switch?

Yes, you can take power from the nearest receptacle.

You will attach the BLACK (HOT) from the incoming power to the switch, then attach the black from your cable going to the light to the switch then wirenut the WHITE (NEUTRAL) together in the switchbox.

eternalmma 03-31-2008 10:07 AM

neutral wire?
 
So the white wire from the light attaches to the screw for the white wire on the plug/ recepticle?

CowboyAndy 03-31-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternalmma (Post 112469)
So the white wire from the light attaches to the screw for the white wire on the plug/ recepticle?

Well, not directly...

Let me explain.

The box that you are getting power from. You will have the cable that comes from the previous receptacle. This is the incoming power. I will get atached to the receptacle. Then, in the same box you will have another cable that goes to the box that will have the switch. The wires in that cable will also get hooked to the receptacle. When that cable gets to the box where the switch will be, you should also have the cable going to the light. take the white wires and wire nut them together. Then, hook the 2 black wires to the switch.

eternalmma 03-31-2008 11:38 AM

awesome
 
thanks, i got it now

Bcoleman6 03-31-2008 06:39 PM

Just an FYI:

You can save a Visio doc as a .jpg by selecting save as, then in the drop down (save as type) select .jpg. In the future this will allow you to post diagrams.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved