Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wiring diagram

where can I find a wiring diagram on the internet showing how to hook up a new circuit of 4 recessed lights

potter67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

wiring diagram

Honestly,
With a question like that, please look in the Yellow Pages for a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Be Safe, not sorry...

JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

wiring diagram

If you are up to it, you might go to HD or Lowes and pick up a book on beginning wiring. Black and Decker puts out a book that I found very helpful. I also have a book on advanced wiring which I referred to occasionally.
sluggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

wiring diagram

I'm curious, Mr. Garth? What sort of question is appropriate for a DIYer? For the OP pick up a book like "Wiring Simplified" so that not only can you figure out safely how to wire your RC's but also learn more about why your doing what you are doing by following a simple diagram. A little education goes along way !
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

wiring diagram

We are not dealing with instructions on how to play Monopoly with his intial posting.

If, after re-reading his intial post, if you have to ask that .... you are not looking at his basic skills. There is a LOT more to even basic wiring than a diagram.

And, and LITTLE knowledge is dangerous ..... especially without the proper training and experience, and that's exactly what we have here.

That should answer your curiosity.
I'm through with this thread.
JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
Electrician philosopher

wiring diagram

That's exactly why I recommended the original poster educate himself. I'm an electrician and yet, overall, the arrogance of some in our trade never ceases to amaze me. What we do is not rocket science, nor is it really very hard. It just must be done perfectly and SAFELY.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

wiring diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in ATL View Post
That's exactly why I recommended the original poster educate himself. I'm an electrician and yet, overall, the arrogance of some in our trade never ceases to amaze me. What we do is not rocket science, nor is it really very hard. It just must be done perfectly and SAFELY.
I have heard this comment many times. Unfortunately, without proper instruction, performing any electrical work without appropriate knowledge & 'hands on' experience, can be fatal. Why do electrical apprenticeships in many countries take 4 years to complete?

It's a bit like trying to learn to swim by reading a booking or getting swimming lessons over the internet.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

wiring diagram

I agree with you Andy in ATL. I've done quite a bit of wiring taking into consideration that I'm not an electrician. I've changed out two 100 amp panels for 200 amp panels, rewired two house all with permits that were signed off. I've learned by reading books talking to electricians and doing. If I have any doubts about what I'm doing I always research the problem before continuing. So it can be done. If I didn't know how to swim, I might try leaning by reading books, searching the internet and talking to Olympic swimmers. I would definitely start in the shallow end of the pool. Just kidding.
sluggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Electrician philosopher

wiring diagram

What's the use of having a do it your self site? SO PEOPLE CAN DO IT THEMSELVES! Today I worked on some fairly complicated 277V lighting with LV momentary switches and a photocell sensor as well as an occupancy sensor. This is an example of something that is not a do it yourself project! Installing four RC's in a ceiling is something that anyone who is willing to invest some time learning can handle! The fact that working on electricity "can" be fatal is true. Then again, I'm from ATL and driving around here can be fatal also. EDUCATION is key! And to say a four year apprenticeship is necessary to wire a simple circuit is silly and, I will repeat, arrogant!

Last edited by Andy in ATL; 09-10-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,106

wiring diagram

"Then again, I'm from ATL and driving around here can be fatal also."

Come on Andy! Where else can they shut doun 2 interstates because of a loose sign????????

GO JACKETS!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

wiring diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in ATL View Post
What's the use of having a do it your self site? SO PEOPLE CAN DO IT THEMSELVES! Today I worked on some fairly complicated 277V lighting with LV momentary switches and a photocell sensor as well as an occupancy sensor. This is an example of something that is not a do it yourself project! Installing four RC's in a ceiling is something that anyone who is willing to invest some time learning can handle! The fact that working on electricity "can" be fatal is true. Then again, I'm from ATL and driving around here can be fatal also. EDUCATION is key! And to say a four year apprenticeship is necessary to wire a simple circuit is silly and, I will repeat, arrogant!
The comment is in no way arrogant. It was said in the health & safety interests of the OP.

You may also consider that if somebody who is not an electrician, does wiring etc in their home & then sells that home, they are then passing on any potential problems that they may have unwittingly created. Some of these problems have been known to kill people.

You are correct when you say you don't need to do a 4 year apprenticeship in order to do some basic wiring but the overall responsibility of doing any domestic electrical work will ultimately fall back onto the person who did it. In Australia, the electrician that does work in domestic premises is responsible for that work...forever or until somebody else changes it. This means that if his work kills or injures somebody, he's in deep poo.

Maybe we should ask the OP if he has had any electrical experience? Maybe you could 'instruct' him?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 AM   #12

wiring diagram

Andy you're a heck of a man and stand out in a crowd.
I couldn't agree more with your statement about not being hard but it has to be done right, it couldn't be more true.

The devil is in the details, and MOST individuals have the capacity to learn. While it's important to know how do something, it's more important to realize when you don't know and need to do some research to get up to speed.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
Electrician philosopher

wiring diagram

Maybe we should ask the OP if he has had any electrical experience? Maybe you could 'instruct' him?[/quote]

In many jurisdictions, including my own, a home owner can pull their own permit and do their own work on their house. The fact that they are responsible is obvious and applies for much of what we do in life. The fact that electrical problems due to shoddy installation don't always manifest themselves immediately also can't be ignored. But that doesn't change the fact that after a little education any circuitry in a house is not beyond MOST peoples grasp. If people go to the effort to post a question then they are interested in the education. If the OP was more specific than more info could have been given. Not all people are interested in DIY. Quess how many times I've changed my oil? I pay a pro... but you can bet your tail if I was interested than it would take me ten minutes at a DIY change your oil forum to figure it out because it too isn't rocket science
Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #14

wiring diagram

Sorry, I did not give enough details. I have installed a new circuit in the breaker box and run a new line over to the kitchen ceiling. I can't find a wiring diagram for a series of recessed lights. any suggestions ?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #15

wiring diagram

ps: I installed a 15 amp breaker for the 4 recessed lights (50 watt bulbs each)