DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

wiring detached garage

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ugabulldog 
#1 ·
I am running 20 amps from breaker box in house to detached garage (underground). My house does not have a disconnect (I was told because the breaker box was less than 50 ft from meter) Do I need a disconnect at garage? (about 50 feet from house) also, do I need a seperate grounding rod for garage?..... yes, I pulled a permit on garage so I have to pass inspection

#2 ·
I am running 20 amps from breaker box in house to detached garage (underground). Do I need a disconnect at garage? (about 50 feet from house) also, do I need a seperate grounding rod for garage?.....
OK, so you are running a single branch circuit to the garage. You do not have to install a ground rod at the garage, it is grounded through the ground wire in the cable. You will need a disconnect at the garage however. in your case you can use a ordinary light switch. Make sure you install a heavier duty one, rated at no less than 20 amps.
My house does not have a disconnect (I was told because the breaker box was less than 50 ft from meter)
This is a totally different issue. Do you have a main breaker in your main panel? Do you have a disconnect installed near your electric meter? You you have a meter / main combo unit?
yes, I pulled a permit on garage so I have to pass inspection
Good! you deserve a pat on the back!:biggrin:

#3 ·
This is a totally different issue. Do you have a main breaker in your main panel? Do you have a disconnect installed near your electric meter? You you have a meter / main combo unit?

I have a main breaker in panel, I wasn't asking about this in particular, just threw it in for a little "background" If I decide to wire myself, I will call POCO to turn off power first. Thanks

#4 ·
With a main breaker in the panel (that you can turn off) you shouldn't need to call POCO for a disconnect. You are speaking of adding an additional breaker (or using one that is unused at present) to handle the garage correct? If you are safe and know what you are doing no POCO involvement should be necessary.

#5 ·
Install one single pole 20 amp breaker in the existing panel and feed the garage with this breaker. You can leave the main breaker on. Just make sure the one you are using is off until you complete the install. And yes you do need a disconnect. Switch is fine as junkcollector said.

Are you sure that one circuit is all you need? If I were doing this job, I would install a small sub panel or a multiwire circuit. You have to trench anyway. Think about any other loads you may need in the future.
Where do you plan to put the required GFCI. Receptacle or breaker. This will determine the trench depth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.