Wiring Detached Garage - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

wiring detached garage

I am running 20 amps from breaker box in house to detached garage (underground). My house does not have a disconnect (I was told because the breaker box was less than 50 ft from meter) Do I need a disconnect at garage? (about 50 feet from house) also, do I need a seperate grounding rod for garage?..... yes, I pulled a permit on garage so I have to pass inspection

Advertisement

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Floor Sweeper

wiring detached garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
I am running 20 amps from breaker box in house to detached garage (underground). Do I need a disconnect at garage? (about 50 feet from house) also, do I need a seperate grounding rod for garage?.....
OK, so you are running a single branch circuit to the garage. You do not have to install a ground rod at the garage, it is grounded through the ground wire in the cable. You will need a disconnect at the garage however. in your case you can use a ordinary light switch. Make sure you install a heavier duty one, rated at no less than 20 amps.
Quote:
My house does not have a disconnect (I was told because the breaker box was less than 50 ft from meter)
This is a totally different issue. Do you have a main breaker in your main panel? Do you have a disconnect installed near your electric meter? You you have a meter / main combo unit?
Quote:
yes, I pulled a permit on garage so I have to pass inspection
Good! you deserve a pat on the back!

Advertisement

junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #3

wiring detached garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkcollector View Post

This is a totally different issue. Do you have a main breaker in your main panel? Do you have a disconnect installed near your electric meter? You you have a meter / main combo unit?

I have a main breaker in panel, I wasn't asking about this in particular, just threw it in for a little "background" If I decide to wire myself, I will call POCO to turn off power first. Thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

wiring detached garage

With a main breaker in the panel (that you can turn off) you shouldn't need to call POCO for a disconnect. You are speaking of adding an additional breaker (or using one that is unused at present) to handle the garage correct? If you are safe and know what you are doing no POCO involvement should be necessary.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

wiring detached garage

Install one single pole 20 amp breaker in the existing panel and feed the garage with this breaker. You can leave the main breaker on. Just make sure the one you are using is off until you complete the install. And yes you do need a disconnect. Switch is fine as junkcollector said.

Are you sure that one circuit is all you need? If I were doing this job, I would install a small sub panel or a multiwire circuit. You have to trench anyway. Think about any other loads you may need in the future.
Where do you plan to put the required GFCI. Receptacle or breaker. This will determine the trench depth.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #6

wiring detached garage

thanks for the help guys...........All I need is 20 amps, and I have my trench dug out "in my mind" already, the shortest path. 30 ft by hand

Advertisement