DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring Detached Garage for 220v welder

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  brric 
#1 ·
This forum looks to me the right place to get some answers. Here goes,

I just purchase a Mig welder with 220v. The label on the welder states..Standard NEMA 6-50P 50Amps 220 volt. 220VAC Single Phase. Use 50 AMP Power Source with 6-50R.

In the main garage I have a 200 AMP panel. From the main panel to the "sub-panel", I have 4-#6 wire (Red, Black, White, and Green) The Red and Black is attached to a 50 amp 2 pole Square D circuit breaker. The 4-#6 wires run in a 1-1/2" gray conduit two feet under ground some 23 feet total to the "sub-panel" in the detached garage. The sub-panel has 6 shots for breakers.
I have four of those with 20 amp breakers for lights, garage door openers, etc. The two open slots will be for the 50 amp 2 pole breaker for the Mig Welder.

Here's what I have so far. The plug on the welder power cord in 3 prong 6-50P with red, black, and Green/yellow stripe (ground). I have the wall box with a 6-50R (receptacle. I intend on running 3#6 wires (red, black, green) from the 50 amp 2 pole breaker to the 6-50R (receptacle).
Question> Is this the correct way to complete the setup?

Thanks for your expert advice.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.