DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring a Dayton Exhaust Fan

16K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  czars 
#1 ·
A friend has this 1/4 HP Dayton exhaust fan with a lot of wires coming out: Green, Orange, Brown, Violet, White, Yellow, Black, Red. He wants to run the fan on 120 volts. Does anyone know how it should be wired??

#4 ·
Judging by the wire colors, I'll take a wild guess that this is an explosion-proof motor. Most likely either split-phase or capacitor start. If it's capacitor start, the capacitor is mounted inside the frame, not outside like a normal motor, so it won't have a 'hump' on it.

The green wire is likely a ground. verify with an ohm meter.

For the low voltage connection, try connecting the hot line to brown. Next, tie the violet, orange, and black together. Now tie the neutral line to white, yellow, and red. This connection will most likely give standard rotation (clockwise looking at the back of the motor, with the shaft pointing away form you).

For non-standard rotation, the hot line goes to brown. Violet, orange, and red tie together, and the neutral ties to white, yellow, and black.

If it doesn't work, write back, and me or one of the others will lead you through how to identify leads and windings.

Rob

#5 ·
Wiring a Dayton Exhaust Fan Motor

OK! The problem is solved. I uninstalled the fan and there was wiring information on the side near the bottom of the motor. Here's the information.

For 120 VAC operation, CCW rotation.

Line 1 connect to Violet

Connect Brown, Orange and Red together

Line 2 connect to White, Yellow and Black

For CW rotation, interchange Red and Black

Thanks for the interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.