Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring cut-off switch

Hi,

I would like to wire a switch to be able to cut the power to the ceiling mounted outlets that feed our garage door openers. Running new wiring to them will be a bit cumbersome, so I am hoping to avoid that. The ceiling outlets are powered by light fixtures in the garage (one near by each outlet). There is a 3 wire romex cable running from the light switch to the first light and another one between the lights, and then regular 2 wire romex cables from the light fixtures to the outlets. The red wires in the 3 wire cables to the lights are switchable, the black wires are always hot.

I mainly want to be able to cut the power to the doors when we are away on vacation, and the reason for that is that one night both doors somehow opened up - I have no idea why. I'd hate for that to happen when we're away. Unplugging and plugging in the openers is a bit of a hassle due to the high ceiling.

I thought about wiring in a switched outlet so that I could just reach up with a long handle of some sort and switch off the power to the outlet. It would not be ideal, but definitely easier than getting the ladder out and unplugging the door openers. However, there is possibly another option that I'd like some input on if anyone cares to comment. I believe I could wire in a switch on the wall next to the light switch that would allow me to cut the power to the black wires in the 3 wire cables. This would cut the power to the ceiling outlets and anything downstream from there (possibly an outside light, I would need to check on that).

My question is, are there any potential issues with this sort of wiring? Is there perhaps any code violation if both hot wires in a 3 wire cable can be switched off separately?

Thoughts?

voodoochile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Wiring cut-off switch

Just unplug them..... what do I win? lol Or just shut the breaker off, you wont need the lights that share the same circuit since you wont be home anyway...

Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-12-2012 at 01:15 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
"So I Re-Wired It"

Wiring cut-off switch

No code violation switching the outlets. If you can gain access to the power thru the other switches,
You could install a double switch in the same box.

I dont see why the power for these outlets would run thru the light switches, but if thats how you say it is.....
Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

Wiring cut-off switch

Black is hot in the switch box and red is switch leg for the lights? Just insert another switch after the hot to the lights and you're good.

But you're right, anything down stream if the opener outlets would also be switched.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote