Wiring Cooktop And Oven - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wiring cooktop and oven

I am replacing my combo stove/oven with separate wall oven and cooktop. I bought the cooktop and oven, used and in good condition, removed from a new condo kitchen.

The existing feed to the stove is heavy gauge (could be 10 or 8 gauge), looks like white, black and red? pre-Romex cloth insulated, on a 40A breaker. The grounding is via the metal clad connected to the breaker box.

I know that by code I can tap into the single feed with separate circuits for the oven and cooktop.

The cooktop came with its original pigtail, metal shielded 10 gauge red, black and green. The label on the cooktop reads 208/240V, 5.9/7.9KW,2 wire 60H.

The oven came with the pigtail also, metal shielded 12 gauge red, black and green.

So, I'm asking for comments or recommendations.

Should I keep it simple and just tie in the pigtails to the existing feed in the junction box? Or should I change all wiring? Replace the old feed with three conductor plus ground Romex (8 or 10 gauge?) and the pigtails with Romex also.

Is the 40A breaker at the panel adequate?
Is the 12 gauge adequate for the oven?

I don't want to go overboard, if not necessary or recommended, but I am open to any comments or advice.

Thanks,

Ted

Advertisement

ellins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 628

wiring cooktop and oven

Going to have to read the name plates on the appliance to see what each requires.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

wiring cooktop and oven

Keep it simple. Tie both of `em into that J-box and you're good to go on the existing breaker.

You won't be needing the neutral (white) wire, so just cap it off.

The Code permits this.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

wiring cooktop and oven

Thanks for the replies.

Joe, unfortunately the labels do not give the wiring requirements. They provide the basic voltage KW rating, which I noted in my post. Being used units, I did not have the manuals and installation instructions. That's why I had to ask for guidance/comments.

The pigtails gave me some confirmation as to what was right, and kbsparky reconfirms this The 10 gauge wire for the cooktop was what I would have expected according to my research, so I'm comfortable just tying that to the feed. The one that surprised me is the oven pigtails are only 12 gauge, although my research indicated that cooktops in general require more amperage than ovens. 12 gauge is in my mind adequate for regular kitchen circuit for small appliances, whereas the oven in my mind would seem to require more draw.

Ted
ellins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ellins For This Useful Post:
kbsparky (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

wiring cooktop and oven

For anyone who is lurking on this thread, section 210.19(A)(3) Exception No. 1 of the NEC allows for smaller tap conductors feeding these appliances connected to a circuit with a maximum overcurrent ampacity of 50 Amps.

An installation with a 40 Amp breaker would be in compliance with this section.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
rjniles (03-22-2013)