Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #1

Share |

wiring a computer fan

I'm not positive on where I should have posted this....let me explain.

I have an aquarium hood made of oak and wish to wire 6 fans into it's sides. 3 on each end or my light. 1 blowing in and the other pulling the air out. Thing is this will be put into a "removable" hood. I do not want to hard wire it. A friend who has a lot more experience than I suggested I do something along the lines of hard wiring 3 tabs made out of brass on each side. Doing the same thing on the hood so that when the hood is on the connection is complete but when you remove the hood you break the connection. Unfortunately this idea fell through as he said I would need something spring mounted to connect-not sure about this (as long as the connections r touching isn't that enough?). The other issue is that he said I would need 3 tabs on either side. I get the reasoning with normal wiring-hot, neutral, ground, but this is 18g wire for a computer and only has hot n neutral-so do I really need to do this?

Can I make a connection with just brass tabs somehow wired to the power?

Do I need 3 even though the line I am using only has hot n neuteral?

Can't wait to hear any responses I might get. It's an odd project.

add50317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #2

wiring a computer fan

Not too sure on computer fans as I have not messed with then too much. Are these 120 volt units or low voltage (12v). Anyway just wire all of the +/hot together and the -/neutral together and hook them thru a switch to your power source/supply.

Just curious, why so much air flow thru the hood? Sounds like you will be evaporating a lot of water from the tank with that much air flow.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #3

wiring a computer fan

What voltage are the fans?

Have you looked at any of the aquarium forums? There are lots of DIY hood projects described there.
KStatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KStatefan For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-29-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #4

wiring a computer fan

You can wire any fan at any voltage you want, if you have a way to power it. They come in all sizes and voltages.
If you want very small fans get a computer or a chip fan. (small fan that attaches to the CPU in a computer)
The one pictured below can be purchased in 120 volt. You can wire these up in parallel and use it in conjunction with the lighting or separate them with a switch.
Only your creativity will determine how you do this.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #5

wiring a computer fan

danpik:

I am doing this right under my light to get some heat out of there. I can't stand having to turn the air on so early in the spring due to having to kepp my aquarium temp in check.

I do have computer fans. The question is: how to wire so I can remove the hood?

Another replied to me earlier and told me to do only the 2 tabs on each side not the 3 tabs-so that is addressed.

Now I just need to figure out how to wire the brass tabs to a wire w/o breaking connection. Maybe inset them in the wood with a hole drilled in the middle for the wire that comes out and is coated in rubber? I can make that happen but am looking for more experienced people to tell me if that is feasible or not.

KStatefan:

No I have not looked under aquarium forums-I'll look there as well-THX!

J. V.:

I have lots of creativity! Those R the fans I have with an inverter to switch to lesser current.

THX guys!

Looks like I'll have the AC on till fall this year but maybe I can lessen the time next year!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
JOATMON

wiring a computer fan

Just how BIG is this tank? 6 Fans? Way too much fan. I think you will be surprised at how much air those fans will move.

1st Question...how big is the tank?

2nd Question...what is the total wattage of the lighting?

You also need to consider having an air filter on the fan. You start blowing air into the tank...it's going to attract all the dirt in your house...want an idea? Look at your AC filter.

I would avoid having fans that 'push' air out of the hood....it's basically going to suck air in through every single crack you have around the hood...and those cracks are going to start collecting dust....

You want a fan that will pressurize the hood...and put a vent on the top...warm air rises so it should push it all out through that vent.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #7

wiring a computer fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Just how BIG is this tank? 6 Fans? Way too much fan. I think you will be surprised at how much air those fans will move.

1st Question...how big is the tank? 75g

2nd Question...what is the total wattage of the lighting? not sure-60 maybe

You also need to consider having an air filter on the fan. You start blowing air into the tank...it's going to attract all the dirt in your house...want an idea? Look at your AC filter.

I would avoid having fans that 'push' air out of the hood....it's basically going to suck air in through every single crack you have around the hood...and those cracks are going to start collecting dust....

You want a fan that will pressurize the hood...and put a vent on the top...warm air rises so it should push it all out through that vent.
I hear you on dust I will think about filter concept but air going up is not an option due to the fact that I have decorative items above hood when not in use.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
JOATMON

wiring a computer fan

Ok....one fan is all you need.

That 60W bulb is going to produce 'about' 60w of heat energy, or around 1023 BTU's per hour. One of those fans will have no trouble pulling that heat out.

Put it this way...your typical computer pulls around 120-200w....and one of those fans works just fine at keeping it cool.

So...keep it simple....just have a simple cord you can unplug when you want to remove it.

I would avoid any kind of 'pins'....especially around water....good way to get 'lit up'...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 06-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #9

wiring a computer fan

If it were me, I would mount a grill on one end of the hood and one of those computer case fans on the other which would pull air into the hood and exhaust it. More than likely 12v DC is the current needed to run the fan(s). You could always cannibalize an old computer and get the power supply out of it and mount it somewhere hidden out of the way and run your power to the fan.

Those fans are pretty cheap. Check out Fry's Electronics or Newegg or Tiger Direct. They all should have the parts needed.

Good luck.
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
JOATMON

wiring a computer fan

I personally would avoid a dc fan...the PS will cost more than the fan....

Here is a 110vac fan....$13

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/muffi...Fa9fQgodN1oAHg

Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #11

wiring a computer fan

It's not if on the fan or what kind, the question is how to wire into the hood so when I take it off the current is broken. Yes the unit will be un-plugged when this happen so the current will already be broken. But when plugged back in I need a complete circuit.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
JOATMON

wiring a computer fan

I understand that...the reality is that there is not an 'easy' way to make something like that such that it's reliable and safe.

Have you considered installing the fan external and using some type of duct to the hood?

Pics of the tank would help.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #13

wiring a computer fan

No not considered that but not an option as it would not look right. This is in my living room.

If I seal the lines in plastidip I would have no issue with stray current.The only thing exposes (from time to time) would be the brass circle I use as connectors.

If there is build up on the connectors I just wipe it away.

There would be wires wrapped/dipped in plastic exposed to humid air but as long as I keep thing clean I see no issue or rot bulding and exposing the wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I understand that...the reality is that there is not an 'easy' way to make something like that such that it's reliable and safe.

Have you considered installing the fan external and using some type of duct to the hood?

Pics of the tank would help.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #14

wiring a computer fan

Tried to PM you but cant do that yet-how do I post pics? It says give URL, do I have to upload pics to the web just so I can post on here?

Can you PM me with your email?
Old 06-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #15

wiring a computer fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by add50317 View Post

Can I make a connection with just brass tabs somehow wired to the power?
If the tabs are exposed, then you can ONLY use low voltage !
Probably 12v.
If you use low voltage, it's do-able.
dont even think about using mains voltage,
if it is in any way exposed !

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote