Wiring A Compressor - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring a compressor

Hello

Just bought aan air compressor that needs to be wired. It is 15 amps, 208/240 volts. It looks as though it requries the metal cover slip wires that comes off of the compressor? I have a 240 plug in my garage that also has breaker box with available slots. Can I run off of the existing 240 plug or should I put a new breaker in? If so how do I put a new breaker in. I have donme wiring, just never put a new breaker in. Also what gauge wire will I need?

Advertisement

scrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Wiring a compressor

Quote:
I have a 240 plug in my garage
Ayuh,.....

What is the Amps available in the 240V receptical you have now,..??..??

As long as it's breaker is more than 15amps,.....
You can just wire a cord,+ plug onto your Compressor,+ Plug it In.......

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #3

Wiring a compressor

The breaker for the 240 I have already are 2 twenty amp breakers. Not sure what type of wire to use for the compressor. I got the compressor at Lowes its the 60 gallon vertical one. The set up on the compressor is somethingI have never seen before, Where you put the wiring in, it has 2 like prongs and has a screw for the ground. Jut not sure how to wire off of the compressor. Also The 240 plug I have now I use for a heater, can I splice off of the existing 240 plug to make a new recpetacle for the compressor or am I better off installing a new breaker?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #4

Wiring a compressor

Quote:
The set up on the compressor is somethingI have never seen before, Where you put the wiring in, it has 2 like prongs and has a screw for the ground. Jut not sure how to wire off of the compressor.
Ayuh,....... Got a Picture,..??

Quote:
Also The 240 plug I have now I use for a heater, can I splice off of the existing 240 plug to make a new recpetacle for the compressor or am I better off installing a new breaker?
I gotta believe the Heater is using most or all of the 40amps available.......
I'd guess you'll need to add another breaker for the compressor......
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #5

Wiring a compressor

Thanks I'll try to get a pic, oh and what the heck is AYUH??
Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #6

Wiring a compressor

Ayuh,........
It's an old Downeast Maine greeting/ term to acknowledge or agree.....

In it's Simplest term,......it translates to,..... Yes........
Old 01-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #7

Wiring a compressor

.........just bought the same compressor. The connection in the regulator housing is 2, 1/4 " blade connectors, and green grounding screws. The motor is connected in the same manner, with one black, and one white wire going to another set of blade connectors, directly below the two open blades. the motor wires are only 14 guage stranded, and I hard wired mine using 12 guage stranded to the two female blade connectors with ground to one screw, and a ground wire to a ground rod from the other screw. This compressor is listed as a "spread voltage" of 208 to 240. I have a dedicated 40 amp double breaker, with no issues...or warming of the breaker after extended run times.....compressor lives outside in a shed connected to the barn.

Last edited by pb slinger; 01-02-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: .clarification
pb slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #8

Wiring a compressor

PBslinger,

So what do I need to buy to get this done? Is it fairly simple to do? I got a price from an electrician he wants $250 to put in a new breaker and wire the compressor.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #9

Wiring a compressor

..........that seems a bit steep.........go back to Lowe's, in the electrical department find some 1/4" female blade connectors for 12ga wire....usually they have yellow insulation on them, then get enough 12-2/w ground stranded wire ( like heavy extension cord )to reach from the compressor to the load center ( breakers ), up to about 10ft.....if you need to go longer than that upgrade to 10-2/w ground stranded wire.......get a double pole 40Amp breaker, making sure it's the same brand as the load center.......white to one terminal, black to the other of the breaker, attach the ground to the ground buss ( where all the bare copper wires are connected ). I'd recommend turning off the main breaker to the panel to make your connections, and be very careful of NOT TOUCHING the large cables coming into the panel....firmly insert the breaker, close the panel & go compress air.............This is a very easily doable DIY project, BUT STILL CAN BE DANGEROUS, if you are very nervous or unsure, by all means call an electrician to install the breaker, after you have the compressor wired.
This is for a hard wired compressor, if you want a plug....add to your shoping list a 220v plug & receptacle w/box.
Please guys, if I have missed anything jump in here..I'm no electricin by trade.....just an ol' rancher who takes care of all my own maintainance from electrical to plumbing for the past 50+ years.........
pb slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Wiring a compressor

[quote=scrapin;84828]Hello

Just bought aan air compressor that needs to be wired. It is 15 amps, 208/240 volts.

Hello...
Am I missing something here? The compressor is rated at 15 amps, why in the world would you put in a 40 amp breaker??? The wiring and compressor would fry befor the breaker would trip.

If the compressor is the only thing using the 220 line that is there then replace the breaker with a 20 amp 2 pole breaker (made to fit the box of course.) If the compressor is within 6 feet, or so, from the existing outlet just pick up a molded cord such as a dryer cord and new outlet, or find a cord that will fit the existing outlet. If you want the compressor across the room , or such, run pipe (TW) with 10 awg wire (you may want to upgrade the compressor a bit later) and then a new outlet.

Good luck!!
Johnboy
The House Doc
Johnboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #11

Wiring a compressor

Ok, this is getting confusing now.
I have a compressor that is rated 15 amps, 208/240volts. I have a breaker box that has several slots available. I have an existing 240 plug already, but is being used for a heater. I want to put the compressor right next to the breaker box with a new breaker. What materials do I need to do this,, WIRE, BREAKERS (what amps), type of wire to come off of compressor to plug into a new outlet, etc...
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
Floor Sweeper

Rewards Points: 252

Wiring a compressor

There are a few variables: Are the walls finished or open studs? Is the panel a main panel or a sub panel?

A compressor like this will do just fine on a 20 amp 2 pole breaker. 12 Awg wire will be adequate. You will need 2 hot wires plus ground. Since the panel is right next to the compressor, no separate disconnect is required. You will definitely want to have this wired on it's own circuit if you plan to use the heater and the compressor at the same time.

Last edited by junkcollector; 01-03-2008 at 12:00 PM.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,464

Wiring a compressor

Is this your air compressor?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...056&lpage=none
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #14

Wiring a compressor

YES it is
Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,464

Wiring a compressor

Ok lets get this thing wired to code. You will need a dedicated branch circuit.

Is your preference cord and plug or do you want the compressor hard wired back to the breaker box?

Do the installation instructions prohibit cord and plug?

I believe the motor should already be wired for 240 volts to the pressure switch..is that correct? The only wiring you should have to do is wire in the supply wires to the pressure switch. Check your instructions. Let me know what they say for the electrical as for the branch circuit size and recommended breaker size. If they don't thats fine we we eventually get there.

Advertisement

Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote