Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,232

Wiring colors USA vs IEC

I've opened this thread to discuss the wiring conventions as it pertains to Australia and the USA. One of our members from the "land down under" is interested so thought we could have a short discussion. Some of the previous discussion is locatd here....

http://www.diychatroom.com/showthrea...3755#post63755

last 4 or 5 posts on page 3 of thread.

Stubbie

Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Wiring colors USA vs IEC

This is a nice example of our residential wiring from a fellow electrician, Mdshunk, of this site only he generally posts on the professional sister site.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Tallpanel.jpg

This is a sub-panel located in the same residential dwelling as the main service panel. We are required to feed it with a 4 wire feeder and seperate neutral and ground to prevent current on the safety ground. It is generally fed from a double pole breaker in the main panel. There are only two branch circuit breakers installed in the photo.
This panel is fed with SE(R)-round type aluminum cable therefore it has color convention. The ground bar is bonded to the case and the aluminum ground from the cable goes to it as do all the copper bare grounds of the branch circuits. Red and black are the hots and the white is the neutral. All the white neutrals of the branch circuits terminate on the neutral bar or bars in this case. There is no neutral to metal case bonding in this type installation. the NEC forbids this in sub-panels in same building with the service panel. For two wire branch circuits we use black and white if in a cable like NM-b as shown. these are the colored cables you see coming into the top of the panel...the white jacketed cable is 14 guage, the yellow, is 12 guage, and the orange is 10 guage . The smaller the number the bigger the wire. These will be terminated on 15 , 20, and 30 amp breakers respectively. there are a few exceptions but that is the major convention. All these cables have bare grounds or specifically covered grounds as they are wrapped in a paper covering once the are inside the outer sheath. Inside the panel this covering is stripped off.

At the service main panel end the major difference is that the branch circuit neutrals and grounds terminate on the same bar and the neutral is bonded to the case. Since the power company does not bring a ground to the home all fault currents must use the service neutral to return to the source, thus the bonding of these to the grounded conductor at the main panel.

If this panel had been fed from individual conductors larger than 6 guage in conduit the ungrounded hot conductors most likely would have been black. I could leave them black or I could color code one of them just to have a hot wire convention at the panel to identify the different legs of the service. So generally I would use red tape on one of the hot wires in a residential application as this is the most recognize method to my knowledge. There is no requirement to do so however.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 09-19-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

Wiring colors USA vs IEC

Good idea to move things to a separate topic.

...And thanks for going to the effort of helping me understand your system. From your provided info so far, your system is a tad more complicated than the Oz version.

Basically, there are a selection of standard cables types used in Oz for varying applications. The selection is based upon the usual parameters like cost, availability, ambient & 'local' temperature conditions, prospective fault current, voltage drop etc etc etc.

Most Oz electricians stick with 2 common types for most applications - PVC insulated &/or sheathed cables & XLPE (Cross Linked Polyethylene).

The colour coding is very simple (please see attached doc).

With reference to BS7671, it's obvious that Oz does not strictly use this system of colour coding. However, the only time it is or can be strictly used is with flexible/extension cords, since many appliances are European & therefore follow a similar coding. You may notice that in the doc I've attached, allowance for the use of such colours (IEC) is not precluded & such colours have specified roles by exception.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cable idnetification summary.zip (3.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Wiring colors USA vs IEC

You know what this reminds me of ? My first time driving on the left side of the street in England.....a black neutral or light blue.......

Your system does seem a little less murky......
Old 09-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

Wiring colors USA vs IEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
You know what this reminds me of ? My first time driving on the left side of the street in England.....a black neutral or light blue.......

Your system does seem a little less murky......