Wiring Code Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

wiring code question


I'm leveling a crooked ceiling in a hallway in an old rowhome using 1x3 furring strips. As part of the project I would like to remove a ceiling fan/light combo and replace with three fixtures.

The three fixtures will be in a line centered directly over a stair railing and spaced about 12 inches apart. My question is regarding the wire I will run to connect the 3 ceiling boxes. Due to the location of the rafters it would be difficult to bury the wires behind the original substrate. Am I able to run the wires in the bay between the furring strips and the new ceiling? Or is this not enough depth to protect the wire?

Advertisement

mjt610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,163
Rewards Points: 2,118
Default

wiring code question


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt610 View Post
I'm leveling a crooked ceiling in a hallway in an old rowhome using 1x3 furring strips. As part of the project I would like to remove a ceiling fan/light combo and replace with three fixtures.

The three fixtures will be in a line centered directly over a stair railing and spaced about 12 inches apart. My question is regarding the wire I will run to connect the 3 ceiling boxes. Due to the location of the rafters it would be difficult to bury the wires behind the original substrate. Am I able to run the wires in the bay between the furring strips and the new ceiling? Or is this not enough depth to protect the wire?
You only need to be 1.25 inches away from the furring strip, the depth is a non issue.

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,231
Rewards Points: 2,372
Default

wiring code question


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
You only need to be 1.25 inches away from the furring strip, the depth is a non issue.
With 1x3 furring strips he will only have a 3/4" space to run the cable.

Run the wire in notches in the furring strips and protect with metal nail plates.
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,163
Rewards Points: 2,118
Default

wiring code question


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
With 1x3 furring strips he will only have a 3/4" space to run the cable.

Run the wire in notches in the furring strips and protect with metal nail plates.
I was assuming he was running parallel with the furring strips.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

wiring code question


Thanks for the replies. I am running the wire parallel to the furring strips. I'm new to electrical so I want to make sure I'm interpretting the code and your responses correctly. So if I run the wire so that it is at least 1.25 inches away from the furring strip this is OK (even though there would be very little clearance between the wire and the new ceiling)?

Also, any tips for posting pictures to this site? I'm trying to post a picture but I keep getting an error message.
mjt610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,231
Rewards Points: 2,372
Default

wiring code question


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
I was assuming he was running parallel with the furring strips.
I guess we are both right. Nail plates if running thru furring, nothing if running with furring.
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,163
Rewards Points: 2,118
Default

wiring code question


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt610 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am running the wire parallel to the furring strips. I'm new to electrical so I want to make sure I'm interpretting the code and your responses correctly. So if I run the wire so that it is at least 1.25 inches away from the furring strip this is OK (even though there would be very little clearance between the wire and the new ceiling)?

Also, any tips for posting pictures to this site? I'm trying to post a picture but I keep getting an error message.
Yes, that's correct.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Western PA
Posts: 203
Rewards Points: 150
Default

wiring code question


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt610 View Post
...

Also, any tips for posting pictures to this site? I'm trying to post a picture but I keep getting an error message.
What's the error message, and when does it appear?
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

wiring code question


Thanks again. This really made my day. I had been researching all sorts of protective conduits and sleeves before i decided to post. Final question - should i secure the wire runs between lights? they are about 12 inches apart? If so, can i just use nm staples and secure them against the drywall of the old ceiling?

Regarding posting a picture - I tried a jpeg but i think the file size was too large. tried to paste into word and post that way also didn't work.

Advertisement

mjt610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I have one code question which needs to verify. David200888 Electrical 0 12-21-2010 10:21 AM
Range Wiring Question - Not Usual Question RWessner Electrical 5 12-04-2010 07:44 PM
Canadian Electrical Code Question flemingetq Electrical 4 11-25-2010 10:42 AM
Question about exposed junction box on floor & code BradG Electrical 9 03-21-2009 12:05 PM
Wiring Question bahaisamurai Electrical 3 02-22-2009 12:06 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts