Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #1

Share |

wiring a ceiling light that branches off to outlets

Ok Im not sure how to word this, hopefully I dont sound like a complete idiot. I got a foreclosed property that I am slowly rehabbing.

Copper bandits got in while the house was vacant and stole any wire they could get and the copper pipes.
The second floor the wiring is intact except for where it entered the basement to get to the circuit box.

OK upstairs bedroom has a single light fixture in the center of the room with a wall switch. The ceiling fixture has 14-2 branching to the left and 14-2 branching to the right to supply a wall outlet on each side of the room.
I ran a new 14-2 from the circuit box to the ceiling fixture. Once everything was apart i got distracted and when I went to put it back together I couldnt figure out how to wire it so the light was switched and the outlets stayed hot. can anyone help?
Thanks this site rocks

What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #2

Okay lets start at the light.

1 - Splice the grounds together.
2 - The new feed that you ran to your panel cap the white and the black.
3 - Find the wire that goes to the wall switch and cap the white.
4 - Now you have a few wires leaving the box going to outlets you said. Those wires you will take the whites and splice them with the white of the wire coming from the panel. Now this might get confusing but you can do it.
5 - The black from the feed wire you are going to splice with the blacks from the wires going to the outlets. Also you are going to splice the WHITE WIRE from the wall switch to the blacks.
6. Now the white from the lights will splice with the whites that you spliced together. And the black from the light will splice with the black wire coming from the wall switch.

Congrats you just wired your light

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #3

by capping them do you just meean with scotch locks to prevent shocks? I have the power off. Not following the cap the black and white wires I ran from the panel?? thanks so far for your help
Old 08-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #4

just re-read it... I think Im getting it...I been searching the internet for a picture..but so far no luck...no any good sites? But I think I got it from your early post..
Will have to wait til tomorrow to try though
Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #5

your nuetral and grounds all tie together respectively to your light. the wire going to the switch is the only one you break. it is called a switch leg. here you have to break the color code initially to wind up correct in the end. tie the white of the switch leg to the blacks at the junction box. this will send "juice" down to the switch. as it enters one side of the switch as a white wire it will leave that switch on the black wire. back at the junction box where you hang your light it is now color coded correctly (black) and will become the hot wire for the light that is switched on and off at the wall. stay simple here and you will be ok. thanks, buddy builder
buddy builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #6

Here the single wires to be capped at first should have some tape or a small wire nut put on them (not stuck on permanently like a Scotchlok) early in the wiring process and they are not connected to others of the same color yet. When all the other connections are done, take the caps off the unconnected single wires and connect them (or add them to the connections already made), according to the diagram or directions given.

The part going to the switch is called a switch loop because a neutral does not accompany the hot feed going down to the switch with another neutral accompanying the switched feed coming back to the light for a total of four wires, great overkill. The rule is that, with just two wires, i.e. a switch loop, the switched feed coming back must not be white so the hot feed going down is the white wire in a premade cable such as Romex. For conduit installations where individual conductors are strung, neither of the wires in a switch loop may be white.

When a white wire is connected to a switch or otherwise used as non-neutral, both ends must have a band of black or red tape or stain applied.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-11-2009 at 12:32 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #7

worked like a charm... thanks for the quick and excellent advice.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #8

Your welcome

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote