Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

wiring ceiling fan to switched outlet

I have been reading up on this all over and i have found several different answers, and other posts or other questions that are just confusing me now.

so since my drill battery is charging, i figured i might as well double check with everyone.

i have an out let that is controlled by a switch. the powered wiring goes to the outlet first, than from there a switch is connected. so i know i have to splice into the wiring that is at the outlet. I have attached pics so everyone can see what i am working with. I have not yet dropped any airing for the fan, everything you see is as it stand right now, just pulled the cover off.

now i already have 3 cables coming into the outlet box, but nothing else is switched. my only guess is the power goes from here to the other outlets that are always powered, and this is just the only one on a switch. Is there going to be a problem if i run a 4th cable into here for the fan?

so if its good to just drop another cable into here and go i just want to make sure i have everything in order.

connect all whites with white.

connect all blacks with black

run black wire from bundle to gold side of outlet with a bridge

run white wire from white bundle to silver side with bridge

now where should my white and black wire from the fan connect once its dropped so i can use the switch for the can only?

thanks for any help and advice.

bronkorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Cruising into the sunset

wiring ceiling fan to switched outlet

1. Add the new cable into the receptacle box
  2. Disconnect the black from the receptacle
  3. Add a black pigtail wire from the black-black-white group (twist and cap) and connect that to the gold screw on the receptacle
  4. Disconnect the (2) whites from the receptacle
  5. Take the (2) whites in #4, add a white pigtail wire and connect to the white from the can wire (twist and cap)
  6. Connect the white pigtail to the silver screw on the receptacle
  7. From the new cable that feeds the can (the white is already connected in #5) and connect the black to the black you disconnected in #2
Your receptacle will now be unswitched and your new can light will now be operated from the switch.

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote