DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring A Ceiling Fan, Receptacle, and Outside Light

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  220/221 
#1 ·
I currently have an issue of connect my ceiling fan, when the receptacle has the hot wire, and also having an outside light - all connected to 2 switches.
Wiring:
The Ceiling fan has: BLUE/BLACK/WHITE/GREEN
The wiring leading the ceiling fan is BLACK/WHITE/BARE GROUND WIRE
The receptacle wiring has: BLACK/RED/WHITE/BARE GROUND WIRE
The outside light has: BLACK/WHITE/BARE GROUND WIRE

All leading to 2 switches

I want one switch to ONLY control the outside light and the other switch to control the ceiling fan - or having only the top part of the receptacle to work off the same switch (if possible).
OR
I want one switch to ONLY control the outside light and the other switch to control the ceiling fan. As for the receptacle, not to be connected to a switch – working as a normal receptacle.

I am lost if i need a 2 single port or 3-way switch(es) and what kind of receptacle to have for it to work off the switch. I have viewed a lot of things online and do not see anything to fit my scenario. If I can please get assistances or a diagram of what I can do. I just want the fastest and easiest way to fix this error. If I can please get help of what equipment is need, such as switches and receptacle, I will greatly appreciate it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh yeah.

DO NOT attempt to do this work yourself or you will die a horrible death or kill your entire family in a tragic fire!!

Give me a call and I'll hook you up. And by "hook you up" I mean "squeeze as much money out of you as I can". And by "squeeze as much money out of you as I can", I mean "fix you up in an hour or two (under $200)"

Or just tell me what you have and I'll tell you what to do. Just do't make me kill an hour asking questions.:jester:

#6 ·
Oh yeah.

DO NOT attempt to do this work yourself or you will die a horrible death or kill your entire family in a tragic fire!!

Give me a call and I'll hook you up. And by "hook you up" I mean "squeeze as much money out of you as I can". And by "squeeze as much money out of you as I can", I mean "fix you up in an hour or two (under $200)"

Or just tell me what you have and I'll tell you what to do. Just do't make me kill an hour asking questions.:jester:
i was joking brotha...i

#5 · (Edited)
"The Ceiling fan has: BLUE/BLACK/WHITE/GREEN" = BLUE is for the light fixture of the ceiling fan if so equipped, BLACK is the POWER wire for the motor of the fan unit to be connected to the supplied POWER wire, WHITE is the NEUTRAL wire to be connected to the WHITE NEUTRAL wire of the supplied power, GREEN is to be connected to a ground wire of the supplied power which may be GREEN or bare copper.

""The wiring leading the ceiling fan is BLACK/WHITE/BARE GROUND WIRE
, is this supposed to be "leaving the ceiling box"? IF so, BLACK would be POWER/HOT of the supplied power, WHITE would be the NEUTRAL of the supplied power, and BARE GROUND WIRE would be the GROUND of the supplied power.

"The receptacle wiring has: BLACK/RED/WHITE/BARE GROUND WIRE"= To me a "receptacle: is a 110V/120V receptacle for plugging in some type of 110V/120V electrical appliance. I can't place where this would have to do with installing a ceiling fan IF the ceiling box power supply was HOT. The RED wire tends to make me think one side of this receptacle is switched.

"The outside light has: BLACK/WHITE/BARE GROUND WIRE"= BLACK would/should be POWER/HOT from the power supply but could be switched. WHITE would be the NEUTRAL from the power supply and should not be switched, BARE GROUND WIRE would be the GROUND from the power supply and should not be switched.

I feel that we need more clarification as to "all leading to 2 switches". Before we can help you further. Which wires lead to which switches now?
Thanks, David

#9 ·
The ceiling fan does not have any lights on it. So, i have connected the ceiling fan wires to the ceiling box wiring. as is: black/blue, from the fan, to the black wire, in the ceiling box wiring. As for the recepactle: i have connected the red and black to one side, red on top and black on the bottom. As for the white cable is connected to the other side of the receptacle. for the outside light, connected the black to black and white to white, and ground to ground. I am having the issue of connecting the cable from to the switch.
Switch 1 - ONLY the ceiling fan to this switch
Switch 2 - ONLY the outside light
I assume the recepatcle wiring was the hot wire.
So I am wondering how I would connect the wiring in the switch box and what kind of switch i need.

#10 · (Edited)
You need single pole switches.

I take that back. You never described the wiring in the sw box.

Again, if you include all the info, you will get help. I'm not going to ask 100 questions just to get a few switches hooked up. I could be surfing thru **** right now :)

They have two terminals. They simply connect/disconnect the power (black) going to the light/fan.

On your 1/2 switched recep, you need to break the little tab netween the screw terminals on the hot side or both halves will be hot.

I assume that the switched recep is switched from a different switch box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.