Wiring Ceiling Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Wiring Ceiling Fan

New home - outlet box in place with cover in place - no fan ever installed in this spot before. There is a switch that powers can lights in same ceiling and a switch that does nothing that I thought went to the fan outlet box.

Hampton bay 3 speed fan - No light kit

Outlet box has 4 wires
green - ground
Red
White
Black

Fan has 4 wires
green - ground
Blue
White
Black

I wired the red to the blue and matched the other colors, but the fan does not work at all.

Is the wiring correct? What to check?

Advertisement

Italgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,210

Wiring Ceiling Fan

Did you pll the chain on the fan? Did you turn on the wall switch? Did you check the switch in the wall to see if it is connected to any wires?

Advertisement

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Wiring Ceiling Fan

One other thing I would check, regardless of whether it works or not. If you put in this fan onto an existing box that didn't have anything there before then it is possible it is made to support a light, but not a ceiling fan (which is much heavier).

If you can, I'd look to see what the box is attached to, it should be extremely solid. Normally there should be small holes in the top of the box, and you should be able to see wood there, indicating the box is screwed into a cross-beam of wood between the two joists above. The box could also be secured to a metal bar between the two joists which would be okay. If it is merely through the side of the box into a joist in might not be made to support the weight of the fan. For me I'd say it's worth checking, unless you feel strongly enough that this box was made for a ceiling fan.

Finally, if there was a black, red, and white in the box then chances are good it was made for a ceiling fan.

Finally finally, the fan has no light kit but has a blue wire? Hampton bay makes some fans that have optional light kits and if that is the case then that blue probably does nothing without the optional light kit. Leaving it connected to the red is likely just fine. If black is to black, and white is to white, and the fan doesn't work after pulling the chain and flipping the switch then I would check the connections and let us know the results.
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Wiring Ceiling Fan

Sounds good. When you installed the fan you might of tripped the archfault breaker. Go to your panel and check that out and also remove the switch and make sure they have all the wires installed.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,520

Wiring Ceiling Fan

Blue is the light connection. You have no light so you don't use the fan blue wire. You need to open the switch box and see what is connected to the switch.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,266

Wiring Ceiling Fan

If the switch is hooked up it should be switching the black or red wire. Test the black and red wire to see if the switch is controlling one of them.

Have you check the box to make sure it will carry the weight of the fan?

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote