Wiring A Ceiling Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

Installing a ceiling fan in a bedroom - I have a switch that controls a receptacle only one wire coming into the wall switch box. I ran a wire down from the ceiling fan into the switch box. Question is can I now install a double switch one to control the receptacle and the other to control the fan - and if so how is it suppose to be wired. I have tried all combinations but still only get the receptacale to operate. Any help?

Advertisement

ray maurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray maurone View Post
Installing a ceiling fan in a bedroom - I have a switch that controls a receptacle only one wire coming into the wall switch box. I ran a wire down from the ceiling fan into the switch box. Question is can I now install a double switch one to control the receptacle and the other to control the fan - and if so how is it suppose to be wired. I have tried all combinations but still only get the receptacale to operate. Any help?
I suspect the switch box does not have a neutral wire present. The fan needs a neutral. You say there is one wire in the switch box. Do you mean one cable? There should be at least two wires on the switch.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #3

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

John,

Thanks for responding - yes there is one cable coming in to the switch box from the receptacle, wires black/white and ground. Is there a way that I can add a two switch unit in place of the single pole switch that was there and have one switch control the fan and the other the receptacle? If so how would I tie the wires in. If not how would you suggest I wire the fan, remember I have already ran the wire from the fan down the wall into the switch box.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

It would not be possible with your current wiring setup as the fan like jrclen stated, needs a neutral wire. Right now, the switch is wired up as a "switch loop" with the outlet, meaning one of the wires (usually the white marked with black tape) caries power to the switch, and the other wire (black) carries power back to the outlet. You could wire up the switch to control only the fan, but not the fan and outlet. You would have to re-run the wire from the switch box to the outlet box in order to accomplish what your talking about. (it would need to be 14/3 or 12/3 instead of 14/2 or 12/2) Does your fan have a light on it? Also, what kinda wire did you run from the switch box to your fan?
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,504

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

You could do it with wiring changes at the receptacle. The receptacle would no longer be switched. You would be changing the switch loop to a feed wire to the switch. it would become a hot and a neutral to feed power to your fan.
This link explains what needs to be done. You would be after the 'alternate conversion option.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switc...g-switched.php

joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

Ray, with the wires present in the switch and receptacle box you have limited choices.

If you can pull a new cable between the outlet box and the switch box you can do what you would like to do. You will need a 4 conductor cable in place of the 3 conductor cable you have now. (my numbers include the ground)

There is no way to power the fan from the switch box with the existing wires connected as they are now.

Joe drew some great diagrams of possible solutions using the existing cable. The bottom picture would power the fan and be easiest, but would no longer switch the receptacle outlet.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,008

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

Running a 3 wire cable with ground to the ceiling fan is your best bet. If you do not have some three wire cable, have you considered a remote. I never used one until recently, and I will use them from now on. You only need a 2 wire with ground for this.
Now, if you loose your TV remote occasionally, I would not consider the remote. By the way, they run around $30.00.

Since you have to run the cable anyway, run the 3 wire with ground. You can still use the remote, but you can only feed the remote receiver with 1 hot, one neutral and 1 ground. Just wirenut (cover) the extra wire and push it up in the fan box.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #8

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

Guy's: Thanks for all the suggestions and input -however I am still at a loss on this project. I took joed's suggestions and wiring diagrahm and did the following. The receptacle box that is feeding the switch had (2) cables in it and was wired with the incoming white wirenuted to the outing black to the switch - the incoming black tied to the receptacle and the outingoing white tied to the receptacle with the grounds tied together.

OK so I followed joed's drawing and tied the whites together and pigtailed a white to the receptacle - tied the blacks together and pigtailed a black to the receptacle - so going to the switch we had a black-white and ground. In the switch box I tied the white coming from the receptacle to the white going to the fan - tied the black from the receptacle to the switch and tied the black from the fan to the switch.

Results: The receptacle is now hot all the time which is fine - but the switch did not turn on the ceiling fan. So now I'm questioning if I have it wired correctly and if so maybe I burned out the fan from my prior wiring mistakes. Thoughts?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,504

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

The wiring you describe is good. The problem is probably at the fan. The fan is bad or is wired wrong.
Or one of the connections(at fan, switch, or receptacle) is bad.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #10

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

I do have a meter tester and know that the connections at the receptacle and switch are good - I will take the fan apart and check on this - but as far as wiring the fan I followed the manufactures recommendation - I'll keep you posted...
Old 07-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #11

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

One last bit of info I forgot to mention when I re-wired I used the double switch that I purchased for as my better half had already thrown out the old single pole switch - but I did have the connection on the opposite sides on the top switch that should of controlled the fan - would this effect anything?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

Did you remember to use the pull chain after you turned the switch on? Sounds simple, but I have seen it before.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #13

Wiring a Ceiling Fan

Guy's: Good news - the ceiling fan is working! I wired it like joed suggested and then checked the current at the fan and it turned out to be a bad connection in the fan - swaped it out and everything is working fine.

Thanks so much for all the support - my wife thinks I know what I'm doing now!

Advertisement