Wiring A Ceiling Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wiring a ceiling fan

I am replacing a ceiling fan that had three switches on a wall plate. One controlled the fan, one controlled the light and the third controls a wall outlet. My new (from my old house) fan is a remote controlled fan. I keep tripping the breaker any way I wire it. There are three romex wires coming into the switch box. All three white wires are twisted together, all three black wires are twisted together then split off to each switch. there are only two red wires that come into the box and one goes to the switch for the outlet and the other goes to the center switch. I am using the far left switch only to connect the remote wall switch. there is a black wire coming in from the wall to one end of this switch and a black wire coming from the other bundled black wires. I am not using the two wires that used to go to the center switch. In the ceiling I have one red, one white, and one black wire coming out. I am connecting the "AC Line N" to the White wire, and the "AC in L" to the black wire. Neither the fan nor the light is working and I keep blowing the breaker with any other combination of wiring. All ground wires are connected properly. PLEASE HELP????

Advertisement

cantlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

wiring a ceiling fan

From what you describe, I don't believe it is how you wired the switches. How did you wire the fan itself?

Be aware, if you shorted out the circuit, the wall controller or the receiver may have went bad.

Advertisement

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #3

wiring a ceiling fan

In the ceiling I have one red, one white, and one black wire coming out. I am connecting the "AC Line N" to the White wire, and the "AC in L" to the black wire and ground to ground all to the remote box in the ceiling fan. I then connected the remote to the fan color to color.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #4

wiring a ceiling fan

BY the way, i also bought a new remote and switch and as soon as I turned the power switch (on the switch) the breaker blew.