Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

wiring a ceiling fan

Hi,

I am replacing a ceiling fan and needed help with the wiring. When I took the old one down I unfortunately didn't note the connections.

In the junction box I see 2 sets of wires, each with 4 wires: black, white, red, and bare (ground). If I just cap off all the wires in the junction box, 2 rooms in the house lose power.

The wall switch that controls the fan has 2 sets of wires coming in, but only one has 4 wires (black, white, red, ground) and the other one has 3 wires (black, white, ground). In the wall switch, the black wires are tied together and connect to the switch. The red wire also connects to the switch. The two white wires are tied together and the the two ground wires are connected together.

BTW, the fan has 4 wires (black, blue (light kit), white, and green (ground)).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Last edited by s2reahme; 08-01-2012 at 11:22 AM.
s2reahme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

wiring a ceiling fan

One of the wires at the fan comes from the switch. The black will be the hot going to the other room and the red your hook up for the light. You need to identify this cable by some mean such as a continuity test or making it safe and turning on power to see which line livens up. The other 3 wire you will have to trace out due to the fact its a three wire. Probably only either the black or the red was used. Until you find out where the other 3 wire goes its going to be tough to fix.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

wiring a ceiling fan

Thanks. I did the following which solved the issue w/power to other rooms.

Inside the ceiling junction box, connect the two whites together, the two blacks together, and the two grounds together. I capped off both red wires.

I'll finish installing the fan tonight by connecting fans white to whites, and fan's black and blue to red (coming from switch). The other red in the junction box I think is unused so I'll leave it capped. Hope that works!

Thanks Again.
s2reahme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling fan, junction box, wires