Wiring Bathroom Fan To Dual Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring Bathroom fan to dual switch

Hey guys, i'm having some issues wiring in a new exhaust fan for the bathroom. Currently i only have a switch working the light over the sink. I'm adding a fan only exhaust fan in the ceiling. I've installed the fan and have a 14/2 running in the switch box with the light switch. I'd like to put an over/under dual switch and have the top to the light on the wall and the other to the fan only exhaust. I'm not running a switch for a fan with light exhaust it's just a fan only. the light switch is only for the light over the vanity. Currently i have in the switch box: two 14/2 wires with the whites connected together and the grounds connected together. both blacks are going to the single switch. As it should be wired. How do i install the fan switch using this setup. so far i've run the whites and grounds together as they should be (seperate of coarse whites together and ground together) i connected all blacks together and make 2 legs to go to the over/under double switch and broke the tab in the middle and the light and fan come on but will not turn them off.

Advertisement

joerob25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerob25 View Post
.... i connected all blacks together and make 2 legs to go to the over/under double switch and broke the tab in the middle and the light and fan come on but will not turn them off.
Improperly wired.

None of the blacks should be connected together. The tab should not have been broken (now you done it) ....

You will have to separate all the black wires again, and find the one that is the "hot" lead. That one connects to the side of the double switch that had the tab on it. You should strip it long, so the wire can wrap around both screws, feeding juice to both switches.

The other black wires connect to the top and bottom of the other side of the switch, thus controlling the fan and light separately.

Advertisement

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Actually i figured it out. I just found the hot wire coming the box. Made 2 pigtails from that. Connected those and the black from light to each post on one switch and then the black from the fan and other pigtail hot to the 2 post on the other switch. And yes, you have to break the tab between them. It runs just like a plug wired into a switch for you lamp. It is working perfect now. Thanks guys!
joerob25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Improperly wired.

None of the blacks should be connected together. The tab should not have been broken (now you done it) ....

You will have to separate all the black wires again, and find the one that is the "hot" lead. That one connects to the side of the double switch that had the tab on it. You should strip it long, so the wire can wrap around both screws, feeding juice to both switches.

The other black wires connect to the top and bottom of the other side of the switch, thus controlling the fan and light separately.
Some people just know more than we do.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote