Wiring A Basement Wet Bar - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Wiring a Basement Wet Bar

I'm in the planning stage of putting in a basement bar. It will be a walk behind in an 5' x 11' "alley". At the dead end, I want to install a sink and a dishwasher. Under the bar, I want to install 2 mini refrigerators for various beverages. How many circuits do I need?

(2)Dishwasher. Receptacles/Refrigerators/Lights?
(3)Dishwasher. Receptacles/Refrigerators. Lights?
(4)Dishwasher. Receptacles. Refrigerators. Lights?
(5)Dishwasher. Receptacles. Refrigerator. Refrigerator. Lights?
More?
Is this considered a kitchen? When I say "receptacles", I believe I need (2) GFCI by the sink counter for small appliances. I hope I've provided enough information. Any help is greatly appreciated

Advertisement

Last edited by beer_geek; 02-19-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Clarify type of refrigerators
beer_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,436

It would be classified as a "Kitchen", due to the fact that we are talking that bars tend to be wet enviroments under the counter. Figure for the Recepticles (including Refrigerator units), that two fridges should be okay on the same circuit, as long as you do not exceed the circuit amps.

Small appliances on a seperate circuit, Lights can pretty much be on another if you have a fear of overloading. Just check the Amps requirement for the refridgerator units that you plan on using, due to if commercial grade, they could end up requiring more then a normal household, and could also end up being required to be hardwired.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

This would most certainly NOT be considered a kitchen. Why would it???
It is a bar.
There is NO two small appliance circuit rule for bar areas. You should circuit it as needed. There is no minimum as with kitchens.

There are certain rules regarding bar area and GFI protection of receptacles that is different from kitchens. Mainly:
NEC 210.8(A)(7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink.
This is ALL 15&20 amp-120v receptacles, not just counter receptacles.

IMO I would use one circuit for the DW, one for the two refers, and another for appliances. Use an existing circuit for the lighting if you do not intend to add much. If there will be 8-10 new recessed lights for instance, add another circuit for lighting.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. The refrigerators I'm looking at are the Haier HC125FVS. http://www.haieramerica.com/en/product/HC125FVS/specs
I plan on doing 20A circuits for everything.

I'm only putting in a couple of cans and 2 pendant lights over the bar so I expect to use another circuit for the lighting.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

You can easily add those refers on with something else. Look at the running amps. 1.0a each. That is as close to nothing as you can get.

Also, for the lighting you can go with 15 amp circuits. It is MUCH easier to work with in fixtures, switch boxes, etc. Unless of course you don't want to bother getting two kinds of wire.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #6

The existing lighting is 15A. I have the wire. Since there isn't going to be too much, I should be able to tie the refers into the appliance circuit, right? That'll take down to 2 new circuits for the dishwasher and the receptacles. That would make things much easier.

Advertisement