Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #1

Share |

wiring a basement in NYC

Hello all. Iím proficient in electrical but by no means an expert with that said. I have done electrical work to the extent of installing a secondary breaker panel. What I would like to know is basic guidelines to finishing my basement. Size of panel, number of feeds to various rooms.

1. I will separate my lighting into 2 separate circuits so if one goes out every other room will still work. (Is this standard practice or am I just really cautious)
2. Bedrooms should I run 1 or 2 feeds per bedroom (knowing that most people have a tv,dvd,cable, pc,stereo and numerous other charging items) is this wise or should I figure 2 feeds per bedroom and feed opposing walls.
3. Bathroom I was thinking 2 feeds one for gfi and one for electric heat
4. Kitchen: refrigerator, electric stove, vent hood, counter top, microwave and spare outlet floor level. I figure 5 feeds 4 reg 12/2 -1-220 for stove if it needs.
5. Living area. Dedicated line for TV w/ 4 or 6 outlets. Rest of area 4 outlets dedicated. For floor light vacuuming general use.
I will be bringing in a licensed electrician to do the service but I would like to save my money on the stuff I feel I can do.

Ty any and all feed back is greatly appreciated.

sirsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #2

wiring a basement in NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsid View Post

1. I will separate my lighting into 2 separate circuits so if one goes out every other room will still work. (Is this standard practice or am I just really cautious)

Your call.

2. Bedrooms should I run 1 or 2 feeds per bedroom (knowing that most people have a tv,dvd,cable, pc,stereo and numerous other charging items) is this wise or should I figure 2 feeds per bedroom and feed opposing walls.

This is a design issue, not a code issue. Really depends on the demand required in the rooms. Most bedrooms do not need their own circuit, especially if you have the lighting circuit on its own.

3. Bathroom I was thinking 2 feeds one for gfi and one for electric heat

Look at the answer above. The electric heat is another story and you will need to provide the specs on the heater to give you an answer. In general one (1) 20 amp circuit is plenty for most baths.

4. Kitchen: refrigerator, electric stove, vent hood, counter top, microwave and spare outlet floor level. I figure 5 feeds 4 reg 12/2 -1-220 for stove if it needs.

You are required to have 2- 20 amp small appliance circuits for the countertops. One (1) for the range, usually 50 amp. GD and DW usually on one 20 amp circuit or one MWBC depending on the load and a fridge receptacle usually not dedicated, but on a single receptacle, not a duplex. I have my microwave and vent hood combined on the same circuit and have never tripped a breaker.

5. Living area. Dedicated line for TV w/ 4 or 6 outlets. Rest of area 4 outlets dedicated. For floor light vacuuming general use.

Your call. I like the idea of having the TV/Entertainment Center stuff on its own. So, yes I would use two (2) here. But it is not required.

I will be bringing in a licensed electrician to do the service but I would like to save my money on the stuff I feel I can do.

Ty any and all feed back is greatly appreciated.
I would run this by the electrician and see if he will help advise you in addition to the responses you get here. He knows your local codes and requirements.
You should call the AHJ (code officer) and let him tell you what he wants to see. You can always over do it. Just make sure you do it to his minimum.
When you go and pull the permits, ask to speak with the inspector and see if he will do a walk through with you BEFORE you start.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote