Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #1

Share |

Wiring in air condtioning unit in Turkey

Hi all

I want to first off state that I have zero experience when it comes to all things electrical. All I'm looking for here is just some advice. I'm not going to attempt to do anything myself.

I live in Turkey and we have just had a second air conditioning unit installed in our upstairs living room. The unit is a typical wall mounted AC unit and the motor is placed outside on our balcony. The guys who fit the unit were not able to wire it in (they wired all the pipes etc in though). We're looking for an electrician to wire the unit in properly. Living in Turkey for several years has taught me that there are no rules to pretty much anything here and many electricans/plumbers/builders etc. have little clue about what they're doing and create more problems than they solve. When we do eventually find a competent electrician I just want to make sure he's doing it correctly and not doing the typical short-cut job.

The AC unit we have is a Vestel Bioplus-18 model. I can't see to find the instruction manual online so I've taken a picture of the details printed on the side. The wording on the label reads as follows:

Capacity------------------------ Insurance
Voltage------------------------- Water protection
Current
Power --------------------------- Liquid line / gas line
Power
Refrigerant gas
Gas level/amount
Climate class

We have another unit in the downstairs living room that was fitted when the building was constructed so all wires and pipes are in the wall and the motors placed in a separate area of our building. I've spoken to the building management but they have zero clue about anything as well.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could advise me how this AC unit could be wired in. I'm sure it's not just a case of wriring a plug to the end of the cable and plugging it in a wall socket? If it is, our wall sockets are quite far from the unit so could a special type of extension cord be used that's designed for such devices? If not, is there anything specific that I need to purchase to ensure the unit is connected safely and running efficiently.

Many thanks!

Last edited by IndyJones; 06-23-2013 at 08:43 AM.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Resi EC

I can't see the entire post, the vert. ads are in the way.

Indy, can you re-size the photo, not sure to what size maybe
800 x *** and start a new thread, might help

Wait a few maybe, someone else can see full post

concretemasonry (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #3

Have you considered hiring a professional that is from your area of the world and is up to date on the requirements in your part of the world?

Pasting a nameplate on a forum and asking how to do something will not get you very far.
There is so much more to this.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Have you considered hiring a professional that is from your area of the world and is up to date on the requirements in your part of the world?

Pasting a nameplate on a forum and asking how to do something will not get you very far.
There is so much more to this.
Fully agree. Just hire a pro.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

I can't read the post either because of the ads. I install HVAC systems myself and the electrical part is simple. There is typically a shut-off run outside close to the unit, and a piece of flexible conduit is run to the unit and the electrical connections are made. Then the lineset is connected to the A coil indoors. I hire a HVAC guy to do this part and a vacuum test. The best advice I could give to you would be to visit with your neighbors. If you are in some resort area where there are a lot of summer homes, I would try to talk to the "homeowners association". My mother in law has a house near Didem, and there is a sort of "municipality" which takes care of some of their stuff. Otherwise, you could talk to a service firm like you would call when it needs serviced. Let us know where you are.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (06-23-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #6

Repost the same post at the bottom, so we can read it. The label tells about protection from water, type of security (maybe fuse)?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #7

I could not find the installation manual either, but here (http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...=ca&lr=lang_en) is a link to the unit's schematic. I don't see a compressor in that schematic, so it can not be complete. I expect a qualified electrician will have little difficulty.

Last edited by SPS-1; 06-22-2013 at 10:05 PM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

I just took a quick look at the photo ( I wish you done resizing to smaller without mess up the screen in here ) and this is more than just a simple hookup to the A/C unit.

I am famuair with European specs and this is not a full European specs it is more crossed set up.

You will need single phase 240 volt circuit for this one but let me warn you on this one .,, Get a local electrician in your area to do the proper hook up due I know there is few codes are differernt than what I am used to in France ( Readers, notes the codes is not uniform all across the European side espcally with A/C unit it will varies some way)

Merci.
Marc
concretemasonry (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Keep the information coming because I also wondered about the systems every time I was there.

Turkey has such a large highly educated market and money to buy some manufacturers could make products specifically for there. Istanbul (population 12,000,000 to 18,000,000 has about 100 TV stations because butting in a cable system is not cost verified except for isolated areas - Plenty of dish antennas too). There other similar large cities with similar situations.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones View Post
Hi all

I want to first off state that I have zero experience when it comes to all things electrical. All I'm looking for here is just some advice. I'm not going to attempt to do anything myself.

I live in Turkey and we have just had a second air conditioning unit installed in our upstairs living room. The unit is a typical wall mounted AC unit and the motor is placed outside on our balcony. The guys who fit the unit were not able to wire it in (they wired all the pipes etc in though). We're looking for an electrician to wire the unit in properly. Living in Turkey for several years has taught me that there are no rules to pretty much anything here and many electricans/plumbers/builders etc. have little clue about what they're doing and create more problems than they solve. When we do eventually find a competent electrician I just want to make sure he's doing it correctly and not doing the typical short-cut job.

The AC unit we have is a Vestel Bioplus-18 model. I can't see to find the instruction manual online so I've taken a picture of the details printed on the side. The wording on the label reads as follows:

Capacity------------------------ Insurance
Voltage------------------------- Water protection
Current
Power --------------------------- Liquid line / gas line
Power
Refrigerant gas
Gas level/amount
Climate class

We have another unit in the downstairs living room that was fitted when the building was constructed so all wires and pipes are in the wall and the motors placed in a separate area of our building. I've spoken to the building management but they have zero clue about anything as well.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could advise me how this AC unit could be wired in. I'm sure it's not just a case of wriring a plug to the end of the cable and plugging it in a wall socket? If it is, our wall sockets are quite far from the unit so could a special type of extension cord be used that's designed for such devices? If not, is there anything specific that I need to purchase to ensure the unit is connected safely and running efficiently.

Many thanks!
moved?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #11

Now your post is readable and it sounds like the installer connected the line set (he wired in the pipes), but not the electrical. This makes things much easier, assuming that the initial line set install was done correctly.

By the way, why do you pay people before you see the thing work?

So I guess what you need now is an electrician to come and connect the wires if you are not capable of doing this.

So get on it. It is going to get warmer before it gets cool.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #12

I only do 60 ~

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote